Arrays using longhand in other data types

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Arrays using longhand in other data types

Mr. Goober(Posted 2014) [#1]
Is there a way to make arrays in "longhand" using other types besides Int, Float, and String?

global floatarray :float[] = [0.00,0.01,0.02] 'works
global doublearray :double[] = [0.00,0.01,0.02] 'does not work
global bytearray :byte[] = [1,2,3,4,5] 'does not work

Derron(Posted 2014) [#2]
global bytearray :byte[] = [Byte(1),Byte(2),Byte(3),Byte(4),Byte(5)] 'does not work

BlitzMax just does not know that "1,2,3,4,5" are also potential Bytes. Maybe it is to avoid "logic" in the compiler/parser/whatever as it then would have to check if "byte casted 5" is a valid byte or now somehow "null" (a real null, not a default "0" which is the case with ints in BlitzMax)

bye
Ron

Yasha(Posted 2014) [#3]
You should (can't check right now) be able to do this to force the type of a literal value:

doublearray = [0.0:Double, 0.1:Double, 0.2:Double]
bytearray = [1:Byte, 2:Byte, 3:Byte]

You can also use the BASIC type sigils if you prefer them (#, !, % etc).

Mr. Goober(Posted 2014) [#4]
I know the sigils can be used in variable names, and I tested them out with in-line expressions and they seem to work out just fine. This is probably what I'm looking for.

What do each of the symbols mean when appending them to the end of literals? I know # is Float. I think % is Int and ! is Double? Where can I find a list of these?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it in "BASIC compatibility" in MaxIDE's reference. Looks like there's only four.

$ String
# Float
! Double
% Int

Would be nice to have other sigils for things like Short and Byte though. Perhaps:

@ Short
& Byte

global shortarray:short = [1@,2@,3@,4@,5@]
global bytearray:byte = [1&,2&,3&,4&,5&]

Yan(Posted 2014) [#5]
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php?topic=77677&post=869747