IDE Woes

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/IDE Woes

Ghost Dancer(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi All

I've just returned to BlitzMax after a year or so. Since then I've upgraded to Windows 8.

I used to use Ultra Edit but I get a Windows exception error when I compile (using batch files). I get the same error when I tried the Max IDE Community Version.

So, I thought I'd try BLIDE. I downloaded the demo but I get an error when I try and run the downloaded file.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#2]
Blide uses .net-framework, make sure you are up-to-date on this side.

Windows exceptions: your code or sample blitzmax code?

bye
Ron

Ghost Dancer(Posted 2014) [#3]
Do I need .net to install BLIDE?

If I compile and run my code from the standard IDE, it works fine. If I do it from the community IDE or Ultra Edit I get the exception - it looks like it is compiling but erroring when it runs.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#4]
Somewhere you will find a MaxIDE 1.42 - maybe this works better.

Give indevIDE a try for an improved Editor if MaxIDE does not work for you.

@.net:
yes if you did not already, you need .net framework xyz.

bye
Ron

Ghost Dancer(Posted 2014) [#5]
I do already have .Net 4.5 installed. I would have thought the installer would at least check for required components rather than just crashing. Pitty as I've heard good things about Blide, but on the basis that the demo doesn't even install, I don't have much faith in the product.

Edit: Just tried indevIDE and that doesn't work either (I just get the timer mouse when I run it). With so many things not working, it seems like there is something else going on. I've not had problems running any other programs on Win 8 though. Any ideas why none of these things work?

Edit 2: I think I've found the issue with Ultra Edit, the error occurs when the compiled program is run via a batch file executed from UE. BMK runs OK, its just my compiled exe that gets the error - Windows locks the file so I have to restart to overwrite the file.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#6]
If blide and indevide do not work - the chances increased that your OS install is the problem, not the tools.

I do not own Windows8 so I cannot help you to check this out, maybe others can jump on board.

bye
Ron

Ghost Dancer(Posted 2014) [#7]
I agree it does point to that. However, I've been using Win 8 for a year or so and this is the first time I've had issues like this. From what I can tell the problem only occurs when running Blitz progs, but they run fine when launched via the desktop.

On a possibly related note, when I right click a Blitx prog, I don't get an option to pin it to the taskbar - again, all other progs have the option, just not my Blitz compiled ones.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#8]
I do already have .Net 4.5 installed. I would have thought the installer would at least check for required components rather than just crashing.
It does.
I'm almost sure there's an issue in your machine.

Ghost Dancer(Posted 2014) [#9]
OK I've found the problem, it was Avast anti-virus causing all the problems. Not sure why exactly as I've never had anti-virus apps interfere with any of this before?

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#10]
It does happen on the odd occasion. Some virus scanners detect some software as a virus or malware and delete/quarantine the offending part. Usually you send the offending file to the AV vendor so they can update their AV scanner database or communicate with the software vendor about the problem.

Ghost Dancer(Posted 2014) [#11]
It just seemed to block programs compiled in Blitz (and not just my own) when launched from another app. Although there were a few that didn't work at all. What was strange is that I didn't get any notification from Avast.

I've added my Blitz folder as an exception and it is fine now.