Publishing a game

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Publishing a game

Lukasha(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hey,

I am planning on publishing a game in the near future. Since I'm working in BlitzMax I am targeting to get it out on Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

How does the process of compiling for different platforms work? Do I just compile a version on a Windows 8 computer, on a computer with current Mac OS X and a current Linux version or do I have to compile it for every possible OS version ( like Windows 7, Windows Vista etc. ) for backwards compability.

Any feedback welcome.
Maybe you can share your experiences with publishing games and the problems that occured.

Thanks a lot!
Lukasha.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#2]
You compile it once on a windows host, once on a mac...

No need to compile it for each windows incarnation.

Please do not just "compile" but also test your builds on that platforms.

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#3]
You may also want to investigate how people typically package things on the different platforms.

For example, on OS X, you might ship your game in a .dmg file, which the user would open on their desktop, and drag your game icon onto a shortcut to the Applications folder - thereby installing it.
Or if you want your app on the Apple Appstore, there are other things you need to consider - like getting a developer id, and so forth.

And of course, testing it thoroughly on each platform :-)

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#4]
You compile it once on a windows host, once on a mac...

No need to compile it for each windows incarnation.

Please do not just "compile" but also test your builds on that platforms.

Or, if you're using Brucey's BMK, you can compile Windows, Mac and Linux all from a Mac.
(You can't do it from the other platforms thanks to the dependency on the mac-exclusive XCode)

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
Or, if you're using Brucey's BMK, you can compile Windows, Mac and Linux all from a Mac.
(You can't do it from the other platforms thanks to the dependency on the mac-exclusive XCode)
Trouble with that, is you *really* need to test it on a bona-fide Mac. You're playing a very dangerous game if you just assume everything's going to work.

Lukasha(Posted 2013) [#6]
Thanks a lot for your advice. Now I have a better idea. Gonna check back, when things get more concrete.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#7]
Trouble with that, is you *really* need to test it on a bona-fide Mac. You're playing a very dangerous game if you just assume everything's going to work.
Given that he would be compiling it on a Mac in the given example, wouldn't he be able to test on the Mac he is compiling on? Or does Apple require a special Mac setup to test on?

GfK(Posted 2014) [#8]
Given that he would be compiling it on a Mac in the given example, wouldn't he be able to test on the Mac he is compiling on? Or does Apple require a special Mac setup to test on?
Well, I didn't word my reply very well. What I should have said was that you should always test on a genuine version of the target platform. In hindsight it would've made more sense to single out Linux, as that's where I'd expect 99% of the problems to come from.