code won't run from 1.49.16 (1.48) compiler?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/code won't run from 1.49.16 (1.48) compiler?

gerald(Posted 2013) [#1]
I made some games and used the bmax 1.48 version. I found the games won't run on vista unless made on that box. I made them on xp and they run on that box and other xp boxes. What is the deal? I set up 1.18 and the games now run on both xp and vista no matter where compiled.

why is that. Do bmax codes run on win 7 or win 8 also, or not? For that matter do bplus codes run on win 7 or 8. Mine run on xp and vista.

Gerald

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#2]
both blitzmax and blitzplus should run on XP, Vista, 7 and 8 without major issues...

Are you doing anything that may run into UAC issues? Write to certain directories that you aren't supposed to? (e.g. programs aren't supposed to write to the "c:\program files" directory after initial installation, and Vista/7/8 may prevent you from doing so)

It also could be a case of missing dependencies -- do you have any hardcoded paths in your program anywhere?

Could be a 32bit/64 bit issue (e.g. a 32-bit program can't access many of the folders that are intended for 64-bit programs, and may be redirected to their 32-bit equivalent.

gerald(Posted 2013) [#3]
I spoke to a computer salesman and he said vista and 7 are on the same kernel and the programs should run on both. I would have to buy a 300.00 computer to actually try it out though.

I am a real beginner and don't know anything about directories. I just put the program and art folder in the same folder. I do code for the folder name, but it is not on any other drive or location.

I also don't know about 32/64 bit stuff.

If your up to it, download a game from maziediff.com on the bottom of the ND page. Any of the GOV7 1-40 games have both blitz plus and blitz max (bm) copies of the same games. Try them on windows 7 and or 8 and get back to me if they work or don't work. This is my site so I know there are no problems/viruses (that I have put there). It should be a safe download (unzip the file).

I would appreciate the input/knowledge that they do or don't work on what systems and at what level. Especially on 7 and/or 8.

I guess I'm a worrier at this level.

Thanks,
Gerald

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#4]
For that matter do bplus codes run on win 7 or 8.

BlitzPlus games will have issues with Windows 8 due to the bug where old versions of DirectX games are running at 30-33 FPS fullscreen. So, you can't use the DirectX driver on Windows 8.

You can't use the OpenGL driver on any version of Windows because there is a known bug in it and the program will crash on exit. BRL have been unwilling to fix this bug for many years.

If you are wanting to use Windows 8, the only option in BlitzPlus is to use the software driver.

TomToad(Posted 2013) [#5]
Works fine for me. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

gerald(Posted 2013) [#6]
hi,

Finally gave In and got win 7. both plus and max (ver 1.18) work on xp, vista, win 7 (32 bit). Thanks Tom for trying out 64 bit.

Gerald