Camera movement

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Camera movement

juankprada(Posted 2013) [#1]
Is there a way to translate the "camera" in a scene? or should I try the other way and instead of moving the camera I should move every image rendered (move the object vs move the camera).

Thanks

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
SetOrigin(x, y)

juankprada(Posted 2013) [#3]
Gfk: Thank you. I missunderstood what the docs said about SetOrigin

Calibrator(Posted 2013) [#4]
I also use SetOrigin for my tile-based game but I wonder: Has anybody measured the speed advantage of using it?
Obviously, one can save a lot of offset additions when doing smooth scrolling etc. as the origin variables are added automatically.

I ask because I'm not sure if any platform supported by BlitzMax is still around when my game gets finished (I'm right at the beginning)... ;-)

For this reason or another it *could* be necessary to abandon BM and use another Basic dialect or a similar language that might not support SetOrigin at all.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
Blitz3D is still around, and has just received an update to fix a problem with Windows 8. So I can't see Blitzmax disappearing into oblivion any time soon.

Calibrator(Posted 2013) [#6]
I mean five years or so from now...
;-)

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#7]
The new dialect "Monkey" continues this SetOrigin(): there is a corresponding function "Translate()". In combination with "PushMatrix()" is became just more powerful than SetOrigin() ever was...

So the technique will be continued. And Monkey works on all future platforms.

Calibrator(Posted 2013) [#8]
Thanks for your reply!