DrawImage and VBO

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/DrawImage and VBO

juankprada(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi all, I'm new to BlitzMax but not new to OpenGL and game dev in general.

I found Blitzmax to be very interesting as well as powerfull but I am wonering, does Max2D's DrawImage uses some sort of VBO or Vertex Array to optimize rendering? or does it use the fixed routines (glBeing/glEnd) to do it's stuff.

I am asking this because I want the get the best performance when rendering stuff whitout reinventing the wheel in BlitzMax.

Now, If DrawImage is just fine, can I still use GL shaders and other openGL instructions?

Thanks

Yasha(Posted 2013) [#2]
DrawImage uses glVertex2f if I recall correctly.

There is frequent mention that at some point someone wrote a VBO-based drawing module, but nobody seems to know who.

Polan(Posted 2013) [#3]
I've made myself drawing module, VBO based, making heavy use of ogl3.3 and glsl3.3, I even had deffered lighting in it :D.
I will post it on forum if I find working copy if you want.
EDIT:
Found some old picture of my test with deffered lighting. As I remember I could go up to few thousand tiny lights with normal mapping and stuff. They were image based, point lights (I had prototype of image based spread but it didn't work).

juankprada(Posted 2013) [#4]
Wow, posting that in here would be really awesome. I could learn a lot about BlitzMax from that. If you are ok about that, then please post it It would be really appreciated!

Thank you both for your answers

Polan(Posted 2013) [#5]
Good news is I found main module.
Bad news is that it's missing few side modules and it doesn't work in it's current state. I will try to make it work but it might take a day or 2.

Polan(Posted 2013) [#6]
http://www.mediafire.com/?e5sw9ct99pgza3x
You will need to drop opengl.mod and glew.mod into pub (it's updated version, to let you use ogl 3.3/4.2)
I couldn't find module responsible for vertex/triangles, so it's sadly broken. But all ogl, etc. is there.

juankprada(Posted 2013) [#7]
Awesome!!
Thank you very much Polan, Im gonna check it out as soon as I get home.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#8]
Excellent work.

it's got problems with missing GL_TRUE on compile of the new mods

Plus on mac, link errors on compiled programs.

Polan(Posted 2013) [#9]
Adam did you updated your pub.mod/opengl.mod and pub.mod/glew.mod? If yes, open your opengl.mod, opengl.bmx, add this anywhere
Const GL_TRUE=1

And it won't compile because there is 1 module missing, which I couldn't find anywhere :/. I left this project in middle of transformation/cleanup, so it's sadly a bit broken. I want to remake it soon.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#10]
ok, no probs. I'm just seeing if i can convert things over :)