Basic Framework

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Basic Framework

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#1]
Great. first time Im trying to use Framework.
In my current project I dont need any module.
how do i indicate that? or what is the basic module to choose as default.

The 'elaborate explanation' on the manual doesn't bother mentioning that.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#2]
Download framework assistant -- it will analyze your program and define the framework/imports it needs to run: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/config/fa/fa.zip

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#3]
Thanks, but I know I dont need any module.
Ive just randomly Did Framework fontmachine (which i dont need) and it worked.
which indicates I need no additional modules (right?)
so why do i need to analyze my code?

I just need to know if Framework means you must choose a module.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#4]
Nobody here can see your code to tell you what you need. That program will tell you exactly what you need, that is what it is designed to do.

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#5]
So lets say my code is..

Local A=5
Print A

Now that you see my code..
What would be the Framwork for that?!

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#6]
Thanks, but I know I dont need any module.

Your program will not run without modules.

The Framework command allows you to include only the modules you actually need. If you do not use the Framework command, then ALL modules are included by default, whether you need them or not.

The manual is very clear about explaining the modules and which module does what so you will know which ones you actually need and are using. To save time, some people use the framework assistant because it will make the job easier. Personally, I do not use it.

Based on your initial post (and subsequent ones), you are clearly unfamiliar with the module system, which is why xlsior made the suggestion he did as it will help you. Whether you accept that help, is up to you.

*edit*

What would be the Framwork for that?!

Run the Framework Assistant to find out, or read the manual to find out which each module does and make the determination yourself.

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#7]
I sure accepted the help and will use it.
And yes im not too familiar with modules.
The reason i dont read much is simply because i get tired of reading from screen.
So i norrow my computer use..

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#8]
Does anyone know if the source can be made available. It crashes on my intel mac here

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#9]
The reason i dont read much is simply because i get tired of reading from screen.

I don't either. I printed out the manual when I bought BlitzMax. Just use the manual that comes with BlitzMax as it has far more information than the online one. The manual that comes with BlitzMax details the modules and everything else.

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#10]
The manual that comes with BlitzMax...

I'm not sure you could call it a "manual" as such. It's sparse to say the least, skimpy on helpful examples, and rather flaky in parts.

Programmers tend not to write the best documentation.

On the other hand, the Blitz Basic II manual on the Amiga was excellent.

If you do not use the Framework command, then ALL modules are included by default

Or more precisely, all the BRL and Pub modules will be included by default. With all third-party modules you always have to either Import or use Framework for them.

I don't use the framework assistant either. It's easy enough to Import the ones you need. And after a while of using BlitzMax, I knew what module provided what functionality, so I'd just add an Import as I added more code to my project.

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#11]
Got ya brucey.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#12]
Programmers tend not to write the best documentation.

Indeed. Technical writers exist for a reason.

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#13]

Indeed. Technical writers exist for a reason.

I love technical writing, actually did a course in it many moons ago (Computer Documentation it was called). I'd love to write a proper manual from BlitzMax, but it seems that it's not really being developed any more and there is probably no real market for a manual which would take A LONG time to put together.

Would also need lots of help since there is a fair bit about BM that I don't know, and many commands/functions I've never touched.

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#14]
I like keypoint

For example:

Global Value inside a Type is shared by all future created similar Types.

There are hundreds unmantioned keypoints
That begginers would like to know