Shadows experiments

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/Shadows experiments

MikhailV(Posted 2011) [#1]
My friend "Madmedic" has created small demonstration (advanced shadows with FastExtension library). I suggest you to test it.

Download demo here

And download latest demo

Use keys: WSAD - move, Shift - high speed, F1 - wireframe, F2 - shadows without diffuse textures. And right mouse button for change position of anim-object.

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
Looks and works OK but I think your suggested framerate is a little optimistic. It claims over 90fps here. I've been farting around with computers for long enough to know something below 30fps when I see it.

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#3]
Runs quickly enough here. I saw no reason to doubt its claim (~ 144 FPS); very smooth.

There's a lot of flickering of the shadows, though (i.e. visible shifting pixels at the edges). Perhaps some blurring or smoothing would be in order?

MikhailV(Posted 2011) [#4]
@Yasha: Smoothing - it's real, but drop down FPS, you should understand it...

SabataRH(Posted 2011) [#5]
nice ... future update? :)

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#6]
Yeah... Its pretty bad the flickering. Disabling the cubemaps and set the texture to 2048x2048 did made it better - but then the FPS went way down.

Rroff(Posted 2011) [#7]
Runs very very fast on a modern PC - over 300fps on a 3gig Core 2 Duo w/ GTX260 and a lot more than that on a Q9550 w/ GTX470... if you can solve the flickering on the edges of the shadows (modern PCs should be capable of this while still doing decent performance) I'd happily buy fastext all over again just for this feature.

People might be thinking its lower fps due to the head simulation on the freelook - it "glides" towards where your input is (in the style of games like Arma) rather than immediatly following it (as games like quake).

Heres a screenshot taken with fraps to prove its running that fps:

(from windowed mode)

Fullscreen in HD resolutions its actually faster than this due to modern GPU/drivers being more opptimised for higher resolutions.

Last edited 2011

MikhailV(Posted 2011) [#8]
Flickering, hmm... Where? ;)

What's new:

- flickering fixed
- smooth fadeout FX for shadowmap
- now orthogonal projection is used for best result
- other small problems is fixed

Download new demo!

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#9]
That looks very good indeed. 94 FPS here.

So are those characters using the B3D animation system, or did you have to roll your own?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2011) [#10]
150 FPS here..i havent used b3d for ages, but I admit, dear Mikhail, you squeezing juice out of it incredibly..this is really beautiful looking shadow system..

Rroff(Posted 2011) [#11]
Wow nice job, the edges nicely blend now - and its even faster here than the last one.

MikhailV(Posted 2011) [#12]
@Yasha: B3D

Tab(Posted 2011) [#13]
590~ fps at 1440x900

Great work!

Rroff(Posted 2011) [#14]
For anyone interested in following the original thread

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://forum.boolean.name/showthread.php%3Ft%3D14479&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&usg=ALkJrhhvadhSGA92r4Bb7SwcWPvsRLfekg

Heres hoping something comes of this.

Last edited 2011

Wayne(Posted 2011) [#15]
Thats pretty slick for B3d.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#16]
Any chance on this for miniB3D? Pretty please??? :)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2011) [#17]
..im started to believe that best thing for B3D future is that Mark should hand it over, in source form, to Mikhail and let him tune up/upgrade whole thing.. :)

GW(Posted 2011) [#18]
IMO the best thing hope for b3d is a community-project that replicates the entire api based on another engine like Irrlicht(DX_8/9,OGL,software renderer)

John Blackledge(Posted 2011) [#19]
Yeah - I second you Naughty about Mikhail.

Mike0101(Posted 2011) [#20]
This shadow system is great and fast. I see many new features in demo. Is this the new shadow system of Fastlib?

RifRaf(Posted 2011) [#21]
Seems there is a SDK of the proshadows for download from the original forum topic.

Last edited 2011

Rroff(Posted 2011) [#22]
Think its using a trial version of a newer version of fastlibs tho so not much practical use atm.

Spike314(Posted 2011) [#23]
Looking at the SDK it uses Fastlib 1.14 but if you replace fastext.bb and the dll with your lateist version it will work.

Rroff(Posted 2011) [#24]
Any news on this? doesn't seem to have been much update in the original thread lately either :(

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#25]
For completeness: here's the ProShadows_008(sdk), which actually contains the multi-shadows code and media.

Yue(Posted 2016) [#26]
Where demo parallax Fastlibs?

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#27]
Hmm, not sure what you mean..

Yue(Posted 2016) [#28]
There was an example of parallax bump map with fast libs libs.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#29]
I don't also know if there is parallax in those demos, but you should post this to another or new thread. I think this is out of topic with shadows. :-)