Fast Extension or Xors3D?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/Fast Extension or Xors3D?

QuickSilva(Posted 2010) [#1]
Just wanted to quickly ask how easy FastExt and Xors3D are to pick up.

Do the full packages come with more documentation or do they simply come with the examples in the demo versions? Are they easy enough to follow (are they in English?)

Finally, how stable are the products and if you use them would you recommend them? Do they get updated on a regular basis?

Thanks for any help.
Jason.

Leon Drake(Posted 2010) [#2]
i went with Blitz3d + Fastex, mainly due to the fact that the way blitz3d handles bones is far different than most other engines. I just love (and it better not change) i can load a model with only a skeletal file, then load a different model with bones in it and parent the skeleton tot he new models bones. Then i can simply animate the base skeleton and all other child mesahes will animate as well. This make adding deformable clothing and attachments work like ogre and cal3d.

puki(Posted 2010) [#3]
FastExtension has no real documentation as such. It comes with clear examples and two main readme files - one for the shadow system and one for the rest of FastExtension.

FastExtension is pretty much a bolt-on suite for Blitz3D and is not too deep in learning curve. At the price, it is a steal.

Fast Extension does have English readmes and English comments in the examples. I'm not aware of any complaints with regard to the info that comes with FastExtension.

Xors3D is pretty much a different kettle of fish. I have not looked at recent versions - but I'd expect the learning curve to be much deeper.

FastExtension is always patched quickly and there is a massive ongoing series of FastExtension threads in 'Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs' that "MikhailV" seems to check frequently.

Xors3D seems to be more dealt with on their own forums.

Xors3D will offer much more than FastExension, but it is a larger product.

Personally, I think every Blitz3D Blitzer should have FastExtension as an extension of Blitz3D - it really is that cheap.

Xors3D, in my opinion, is something that will take longer, but go deeper and is more of an ongoing project - a bit like Leadwerks Engine is an ongoing thing which does mean a bit of faffing about with new versions and the changes to them.

I vote buy FastExtension first, as it is cheap. Then move onto Xors3D later if you find that you lust for the additional features.

Personally, I think FastExtension is a risk-free purchase as it probably has a much higher purchasor base. Plus, FastExtension is exclusive to Blitz3D - Xors3D is not, and Blitz3D support and development did halt in the past and then continue again. I don't consider Xors3D to be part of the Blitz family - but I respect its presence.

Ferret(Posted 2010) [#4]
Personally, I think every Blitz3D Blitzer should have FastExtension as an extension of Blitz3D - it really is that cheap.

I was thinking about getting FastExtension, now i'm sure :)

QuickSilva(Posted 2010) [#5]
Another quick question, what is the difference between the retail and trial versions? There doesn`t seem to be any sort of time limit\limitation or have I missed something?

Thanks for the thorough answer though guys, I`ll definitely get this I think.

Jason.

Yue(Posted 2010) [#6]
demo time 5 minutes, windows message, Xors 3D no use directx 7 mmmmmmmm, DirecX 9.

Ferret(Posted 2010) [#7]
You can use all features in the trial version.
After clicking ok on the windows message you can keep running the program.

I think there is a difference, i see FastExtention as a addon and Xors3D as a full blown engine.
If i had to pick a engine for B3D, i would go with Leadwerks engine.
For now i'm using FastExtention, you just can't beat the price.