Ninfa3D a new 3D engine for Blitz3D and Blitz+

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/Ninfa3D a new 3D engine for Blitz3D and Blitz+

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#1]
OK, still in beta but pretty complete.

Full support for .B3D, physics, parent entity system, 3D entity sound etc. full documentation.

The programmer is open to suggestion if you require an unsupported feature.

Its small and fast and comes in one DLL.

Excellent work IMHO for a single programmer.

Give it a go, its totally free.

http://www.mysticrealitystudio.comuv.com

P.S. the current website is a free one, bandwidth may be limited and also I had to retry the download a couple of times to get the full .ZIP... no biggie as its worth the download.

SabataRH(Posted 2009) [#2]
Well well that's very interesting. Just downloaded and had a play with the demos. I'm impressed by its simple usage, mimics blitz3d commands perfectly. Seemed very fast. Had 4000 objects with physics and real-time shadow and it ran perfectly.

It's still in beta so I wouldn't suggest it for anything mainstream yet - but definitely one to bookmark and keep tabs on!

Thanks for posting the link.

puki(Posted 2009) [#3]
"Sausagedonkey" - are you saying the physics are fast?

I thought they were a bit on the slow side - but I have never used any other physics libs for Blitz3D. How does its physics compare in speed?

M2PLAY(Posted 2009) [#4]
Muy buen trabajo. Gracias.
Nice!!!

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#5]
The Physics needs tweeked, it running at a fixed rate, no matter what PC you run it on... like he said, its a beta, and for a first attempt a very promising beta. ;)

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#6]
HI,

Downloded. But, not working. It's impossible to open the DLL.
I have this message : User lib not found

JP

PS : Same pb with FreeBasic :-(

puki(Posted 2009) [#7]
Did you copy both Ninfa3D.decls and Ninfa3D.dll into your Blitz3D userlibs folder?

Panno(Posted 2009) [#8]
same error here , i copy both files and have openal installed

error on both - b3d 1.10 and blitz+demo

Panno(Posted 2009) [#9]
puki can you upload some exes ?

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#10]
"...Did you copy both Ninfa3D.decls and Ninfa3D.dll into your Blitz3D userlibs folder? ..."
Yes. ;-)
Please, can you send me a copy of your DLL at zjp@...

JP

puki(Posted 2009) [#11]
I'm delegating it to "bigsofty".

Sort it out.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#12]
I had the same problem on my laptop but not my desktop, the only thing I did was to run the OpenAL installer ( http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip ) and this fixed it for me.

Dreamora(Posted 2009) [#13]
Did you copy both Ninfa3D.decls and Ninfa3D.dll into your Blitz3D userlibs folder?

Yupp, as well as the right OpenAL.dll for vista64 generated by the openal installer on a secondary userprofile on this machine. The right one because the 32bit dll deadloops any app on vista64, so never include just one if you are planning to distribute it to both.

KimoTech(Posted 2009) [#14]
Seems quiet simple, but maybe the command set is a little complex? I mean, why not use the same Position(Entity) commands for all the entities, instead of having a command for each entity type ;)

A good engine keeps its command set as simple as possible, but still without loosing functionality and flexibility ;)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#15]
..I see no shaders use in examples..however, provided examples run just fine here and no errors at all..complexity wise..it does look simple and very B3D'ish..however, real simplicity should be over use of shaders (if any) and so far I havent seen any example and even provided help file (docs and command set) doesnt talk about shaders at all, except command whats returning true if your system is capable of using GLSL, ..

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#16]
Shaders is for the next release.
For now, it's time for the optimization and bug hunting.That is what he said on his forum.

JP

Mike0101(Posted 2009) [#17]
This engine is very promising. With new features and more optimising can be a useful thing and really alternative.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#18]
hi, i downloaded the zip file from your site, but there is only a .decls file in there. There is no dll to be found.

EDIT
never mind, i found it :)

Wayne(Posted 2009) [#19]
can primitives cast shodows?

how about a newton vehicle demo?

Panno(Posted 2009) [#20]
i get an error if i try this wayne

Wayne(Posted 2009) [#21]
kinda cool. I know its early beta. but..

wish i could make newton run faster.
can i set gravity?
can i step the physics simulation twice per frame?

What did you try Panno, the primitives casting shadows ?

Panno(Posted 2009) [#22]
yap this will not work yet but later maybe
the rest : i dunno

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#23]
Primitives can't cast shadows... yet, maybe next beta.
Raycast from camera and terrains, next beta.

Turn off blitz debugger for improved keyboard, mouse response... also removes blitz console window when exiting the engine.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#24]
Why do I get this error? I put the dll & decls in the userlib folder, and left a copy of the dll in the directory the example files are in. whats going on?

heres an image:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=0kw2w5m33gz&thumb=6

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#25]
Try this... http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip

if you are still getting the error after that, then you may have an old OpenAL DLL on your system.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#26]
this is awesome!

thanks!

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#27]
Glad to help ;)

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#28]
OK, terrains are in for next version.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#29]
when will the next be released?

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#30]
nMeshTexture( mesh%, texture%, index% )

The layers are used to assign a texture to a specific index of the mesh, to make multi-textured.

So a mesh can have multiple surfaces, but each surface is a single texture layer only? Have I read that right?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#31]
..if so, how to control UV map set (TextureCoords), since I cant see any commands for such things (for example, very nice occlusion map rendered from 3dsmax, applied on that way, while shadows remain real time, that will be a killer visual wise)..

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#32]
Why would you use a baked OM with a real time stencil shadow system?

As the actual engine beneath Ninfa3D is Irrlicht, this is a very capable and mature engine. I am sure if you wish to manipulate the UV set with a specific command, it already exists within Irrlicht, if its not already exposed in Ninfa3D then a small request on the forums is advised ( http://www.mysticrealitystudio.comuv.com/forum/index.php ).

I believe that nMeshTexture( mesh%, texture%, index% ) is simply a way of ordering multi-texturing on each mesh on Index.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#33]
well..simply because Ninfa cant do real time OM (i guess), and with such OM applied on to geometry, what remain is just shadows, to get extremely good looking level, having in mind that there is no sunlight motion,and with OM rendered out from VRay, it can reach very high quality visuals..

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#34]
Ah I see, interesting, well I am pretty sure you could use OM, given the extra texture modes are available(and the further possibility of using a shader if they are not) but as you said a moving light source would mess things up. I suppose a mixture would be ideal but some compromises in the design of the world lighting model would have to be made. I personally like the baked approach with some real-time shadows to maximise the speed of the rendering.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#35]
Is the Blitz3d Version still online somewhere? I can download only a FreeBasic version from the given URL.

Is this project still active? (b3d wise?)

puki(Posted 2009) [#36]
It is still onging for Blitz3D:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=84170#955250

I can e-mail my version if you want. I downloaded it on 13th April - not sure if it was the last version they hosted or not.