Blitz3D Virtual Machine

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/Blitz3D Virtual Machine

Sake906(Posted 2008) [#1]
The link on the userlibs list no longer leads to the correct place, and it seems like the maker of this lib has moved all support to BlitzMax when I checked the new website, nor does have any "Blitz3D" content on the demo's documentation. (or I just can't figure it out..)

Anyways, I am in need of a thing like this for our project. I have been asked if I could use LUA but research on that subject led me to know about this other one. Problem is, I can't seem to find any of those...

Any ideas-help?

Koriolis(Posted 2008) [#2]
I am the author of this library.
Blitz Virtual Machine is now on its second iteration (renamed BriskVM 2 or Brisk Virtual Machine 2).
I no longer support BVM1, though you can get it on request.

BriskVM 2 does support Blitz3D/BlitzPlus, as well as BlitzMax, PureBasic (and C++, windows only for now).
The demo DOES come with basic Blitz3D samples, unless I messed up the installer (which I doubt).

As for the link to BVM 1 in the toolbox, you're totally right, I need to ask BRL to remove it and add a link to the newwebsite.

Sake906(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks Koriolis, I will try to search within it..

So far the only samples I saw seemed to be for blitzmax...

Sake906(Posted 2008) [#4]
I have another question for you.

Is it possible to have command sets for different languages? EG:

I want to have one command set with functions found within the Blitz3D application, but I would also like to do so with Raknet's code (the one found in its DLL, since our network developer doesn't want to use its own wrapper)

Is that possible or recommendable?

Koriolis(Posted 2008) [#5]
Is it possible to have command sets for different languages?
Well, yes, you can put what you want in your command set, and you can write as many command sets as you want.
In fact you can even have a command set include another command set.

Iwant to have one command set with functions found within the Blitz3D application, but I would also like to do so with Raknet's code (the one found in its DLL, since our network developer doesn't want to use its own wrapper)

Is that possible or recommendable?

So actually that's not a command sets for different languages that you want but simply a command set with built'in commands from Blitz3D PLUS commands from Raknet, right?
If so, this is naturally possible. You can put in your command set anything that is accessible at the point where you include the "invoker file"
Thus if you have acces to Rakenet's compmands (in Blitz3D this will mean having the right .decls file), then you can put these commands in your command set and your scripts will have access to them.

However from a design perspective, I'm not sure that directly exposing low level network commands to scripts is the best you can do. Usually (but not always) scripts are best used to write the high level logic of the application, and let low level details to the host application. In this context I wouldn't personnaly let scripts handle message sending over the net, and I would rather give this responsibility to the host program.

Naturally this is only a general advice as the best thing to do heavily depends on the specific coontext of your program.

If you have any further question, I suggest you come to the BriskVM forum.