OpenGL or Direct3D-engine?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/OpenGL or Direct3D-engine?

KimoTech(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi all!

I just want to know, what do you people mostly want?

An engine based on OpenGL 2.0, with shaders in GLSL, vendor-specific functions etc. and crossplatform

or

An engine based on Direct3D9 and 10, with HLSL shaders, very compatible with most hardware, ...

Please give some feedback, and maybe a good reason why you want that specific renderer. :)

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#2]
An engine based on Direct3D9 and 10, with HLSL shaders, very compatible with most hardware, ...

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#3]
OGL,GLSL, and of course multiplatform..by the way, how is your engine moving?? Any demo(you announced one but nothing stillll)...I hope this question is not related for your development, and if so, it means its not at stage I thought it was regarding your previous posts...

KimoTech(Posted 2008) [#4]
I have worked on the terrain part for about 2 months, and i am still stuck .. I can't get it to work, but i am still fighting ;) When that part is finished, i just need to clear out some small things, then it is ready to be tested ;)

gameproducer(Posted 2008) [#5]
"engine based on Direct3D9 and 10, with HLSL shaders, very compatible with most hardware, ..."

Forget terrain, meshes can be used (at least to some extent). :)

KimoTech(Posted 2008) [#6]
yes i know .. but big terrains with lot of detail adds some very realistic views for a game :)

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#7]
Only for a small number of games. How many games do you play that have terrains? I don't think I've ever played one.

KimoTech(Posted 2008) [#8]
Crysis, World of Warcraft, Battlefield, GTA 4 and SA, etc. Many popular games has got terrains ;)

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#9]
GTA4 has terrains? Are you sure? I'm sure Crysis has terrains, but how many of those listed above actually create them dynamically, and aren't modelled in a 3D modelling app?

KimoTech(Posted 2008) [#10]
Yes, but i am not sure if they are dynamic created :-) But okay, would it be okay with you, that the terrain feature will be an upcoming feature, after the beta? Because then i'll try to finish all the other parts :)

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#11]
Yes, you may carry on. :)

KimoTech(Posted 2008) [#12]
Now PSSM soft shadows are done ;-) I've posted a screenshot in the gallery.
The whole lighting and shadow mapping are done in a deferred shader (post process), so the number of lights is unlimited, only your framerate makes the limit (each light makes a postprocess pass).

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#13]
i cant see anything in gallery..link?

KimoTech(Posted 2008) [#14]
The maintainers haven't updated the gallery yet :)

KimoTech(Posted 2008) [#15]
Now the screenshot can be seen.. It is the one with the car and the boxes ;-)