GameScript question...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/GameScript question...

c32bit(Posted 2008) [#1]
I was looking at the GameScript (http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=69531) example1.bb (the prime numbers example), is there a way for the script (.gs/.gsx file) to reference objects (variables, types, etc…) that exist in the main program.
For example, let’s say I have an enemy tank type in the main program and I wanted to write an AI routine in the script to control the tank. Is there a way to control enemy tank type from within the script. Thanks for any help.

nrasool(Posted 2008) [#2]
Thats a good question, I wanted to know the exact same thing as well, so it would be handy to have an example of this.

OJay(Posted 2008) [#3]
why not just write a wrapper function and add that to the gamescript_functions.bb?

something like:
function setTankProperty( tankid%, field$, value$ )

t.tTank = object.tTank( tankid )
  if t = null then return false

select field
    case "hitpoints"
      t\hitpoints = value
    case "something_else"
      t\something_else = value
      return false
  end select

return true

end function

seems simple enough...

c32bit(Posted 2008) [#4]
Thanks for your response. I am trying to follow your example but my script...

<start script>
Type Ship
Field total:Int
EndType

Global car:Ship

car = New Ship

car.total = 9999
<end script>

keeps giving me an "Object does not exist" error. Any ideas why this is?

OJay(Posted 2008) [#5]
ok, first: i think there's a typo in GameScriptVM.bb at line 1019: "var\Thread = Thread" should be "obj\Thread = Thread" I THINK! at least the script runs then.

BUT second: im continously getting errors when accessing type fields. even the example from the manual fails:
Type Vehicle
	Field Speed:Float
EndType

Local Car:Vehicle
Car = New Vehicle 'Create a new instance of Vehicle and store it's pointer in Car
Car.Speed = GetSpeed(Car) + 10

Function GetSpeed:Float(v:Vehicle)
	Return v.Speed
EndFunction

ill post that in johns original thread, maybe he knows a solution...

btw: interesting that nobody used that feature yet and found that bug, since its quite obvious and reproducable o.O

Fernhout(Posted 2008) [#6]
Ik think i may may help you here.

First chang line
Car = New Vehicle --> in
Car.Vehicle = New Vehicle

And line
Car.Speed = GetSpee... --> in
Car\Speed = Getspee..

Dont use the local assing for the car before you assing the type to your variable.
In this case your variable is assinged to a Integer and then you try to make it a type. Thats not allowed in Blitz3D

Better is leave the local assingment out. As long as you do not declare it in the program its automaticly a local.

Hope this wil work in your test program.

OJay(Posted 2008) [#7]
you're missing the point fernhout...we're not talking about blitz3d, but gamescript, the scripting language develped in blitz3d...

more info: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=69531

btw: the reported bug got fixed. sincerly another one arised...