convert Blitz collisions to Newton

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/convert Blitz collisions to Newton

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#1]
Need some feedback.

I'm looking at stripping out the blitz3d collisions code from my game (www.tankuniversal.com), and replacing it with AMT lab's Newton wrapper.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=66659

Has anyone had experience with changing over (Blitz3d col -> Newton?), or how are you finding the wrapper so far if you're using it for collisions?

_33(Posted 2007) [#2]
pretty easy in fact, but it takes some time to build the collision mesh for a level; plus it can't be saved as a file...

So I'm not impressed.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks _33

However I've obviously posted a very rare and dangerous question going by the lack of other responses!

_33(Posted 2007) [#4]
However, if you get to use PhysX, I'd like to have your impression on that.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#5]
_33

I've just had a quick browse of the PhysX topic - seems Newton is one of the slowest of the wrapped engines available - PhysX being the fastest.

However I haven't looked closely at the license - may be a problem there for a commercial game(?)

The other thing that occurs to me - in Blitz3d you can name an object, which is useful for doing fast look ups against an array (e.g. 'G01M019'). But if you use a 3rd party coll lib, you'll lose that ability?

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#6]
Hmm - just looking over the PhysX commandset and I see there's

pxBodySetBodyName(body%, name$)
and
pxBodyGetBodyName$(body%)

Lovely. Looks like it's PhysX then.

_33(Posted 2007) [#7]
I'll have to buy PhysX soon! Newton was great for learning thoe, thumbs up for that. I remember when I built my water physics in newton, I had it working after a few hours, and it looked clumsy until you actually have parameters that make more sense, then it's rather interesting. But having several wrong polys in my level collision really showed me that Newton isn't up to it (newton wrapper anyway).

The advantage you also have with the PhysX wrapper is the updates / support, the wider range of physics possibilities and speed, works with physX card also, Render is an awesome coder!

Anyhow, good luck.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#8]
Will let you know how it goes - I'm looking at incorporating PhysX into the codebase this week (or at least, starting to).