Best free physics lib wrapper

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/Best free physics lib wrapper

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm still searching for a free Physics solution. It should be simple and easy to add to an existing game.

Devils Child released some good stuff, but it's still not as simple as I wish. There needs to be some kind of automation layer between the game and the wrapped functions. Plus, stabilty needs to be stresstested much more.

Can you run it 4 days with repeatedly created and deleted physics objects? No? then it's not really stabile IMHO.

Anyway, probably it's easy to write something like this Layer: take one of the libs with one of the free wrappers, no matter what ODE, Newton, Tokamak whatever. I'd say choose that one that is actually stabile (a notorious weakness of physics libs IMHO). Get yourself some kind of simple object collision physics, then use the "iterate trough all entities" (see b3d coding section) hack to apply physics to all objects. You may then also use EntityClass to recursively add animated meshes to the physics stack. And of course eg. EntityName to trigger certain things.

I'd really appreciate such a simple and free community project.

_33(Posted 2007) [#2]
Devil's Child's DPE is extremely simple, actually. I can't imagine a physics system that would be easier to use! The only problem is that you'll have to buy the Newton Wrapper for the DPE that I use and that works. I don't know about ODE.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2007) [#3]
Hi Devil's Child,

Why the DPE is restricted? (It says it is final)
It seems that there is no 'buy' button on your website?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2007) [#4]
1. Did anyone try this?
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=995

2. Why the DPE is restricted? Is this still work in progress?

Thanks in advance.

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#5]
dpe is a blitz lib for the newton wrapper, making it easier to use, you still need to get the newton wrapper by imtbin.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#6]
1) no - nobody seems to know how to use it - not the easiest thing :)

If I find some time then I'll probably going to try what I described in my previous post: use the iterate-trough-all-entities hack to automaticly set physics to all loaded meshes. For most things like furniture a cubic collision may be good enough (and also fast enough)

Eric(Posted 2007) [#7]
This one is not free but It's really inexpensive... You can try it.. it runs for 5 mins each execution before stopping which is great because it's enough time to start developing with it and get a feel for how to use it.

http://rubux.swargo.com/?module=index

Best Regards,
Eric

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#8]
I was looking for a free one as well it does not seem to be something that you can find to easily.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#9]
I'd love to see a free Newton or ODE physics wrapper. Does either exist?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2007) [#10]
Do you mean blitzODE?

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#11]
I heard that one is outdated. Is that true?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2007) [#12]
Yes.