Random "user lib not found" errors. Any ideas?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/Random "user lib not found" errors. Any ideas?

Gillissie(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm getting reports from some users that they are getting "user lib not found" when launching my game. They have verified that all dll's are in the game's install directory.

What would cause this on some PC's but not others? All are WinXP home edition. Could there be a conflict in dll's, maybe multiple dll's on the PC that are named the same thing and in the PATH? It doesn't happen on most PC's.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#2]
Are you able to share which DLL's you use? Might be a clue in there.

Gillissie(Posted 2007) [#3]
Here is the complete list of dll's used:

blitzsys.dll (common Blitz user lib)
filelist.dll (my custom lib)
GG_registry.dll (my custom lib)
Tokamakdll.dll (common Blitz user lib)
Tokamakwrapper.dll (common Blitz user lib)
zlib.dll (common Blitz user lib)
user32.dll (part of Windows - not installed with game)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#4]
FileList.dll sounds like a fairly generic name. Could they perhaps have downloaded another program which uses a DLL with the same name? Perhaps that one goes in System32 and is taking precedence over yours? ( Not sure which DLL would get precendence in that situation, so I might be wrong. )

Any chance that the User32 stuff you're using is only present on certain installations? Eg: SP1, SP2? You should be able to check this on MSDN if you're not positive.

Other than that, it doesn't seem likely they'd have anything clashing with Tokamak. Perhaps another version of ZLib installed in System32?

What sort of users are we talking? Fellow developers or gamers, or what?

Gillissie(Posted 2007) [#5]
I found the problem. At one point I temporarily used FreeImage.dll to save some image buffers as jpg. I commented out the code that does the actual saving, but I didn't comment out the include file for the wrapper functions. Apparently, simply including the wrapper file will try to use the dll. Plain and simple, I didn't test it at the last minute before sending it out. :(