ashadow lib

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/ashadow lib

stayne(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm getting no response from the author of Andreyman's Ashadow system, so I'll post the issue here with hopes that someone that owns it can help.

With refraction turned on there is a line at the water's edge. It appears the author was trying to emulate water refracting the terrain when in contact with it, or refracting whatever else it's bumping into. The terrain appears to be split at the water, and it's causing an ugly appearance. Has anyone found a way around it? Also, if I place an object in the water it's refracted, but erroneously. My character's legs appear to have a 4-5 inch gap.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#2]
I think that we have the same problem ! all DirectX7 wrapper
for blitz have the same problem with Zorder, imagine, you have
a landscape + water + tree (with png leaf) if you use a
reflect map via a wrapper, you can see that the tree leaf appear under water :/ i think that mark must open the
renderworld functions for wrapper corder's !

I have try to put a directX7 water effect for TerraEd but
i was obliged to give up due to this problem.

Mike0101(Posted 2006) [#3]
I have ashadow lib too and I don't get answer from Andreyman

stayne(Posted 2006) [#4]
Does anyone have a good alternative for water? I would code my own but I fear I couldn't come close to achieving what Andreyman has.

angel martinez(Posted 2006) [#5]
I am using Ashadow water in my game(Freehunter) and I had to disable the refraction effect because I had serious problems with objects Z order.I only use the reflection effect ( with bumps and such, of course ) and it works very well, the water looks very good.
The only limitation is: if you use objects-entities-sprites parented to camera you have to use a "EntityOrder entity,0" in that object-entity.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks Angel. I tried that but my water looked like mercury. Have you found out how to work with the transparency?

angel martinez(Posted 2006) [#7]
With the default Ashadow water options,except refraction,you can see an effect like fresnel: transparency near the camera and bumps and reflection far away, but yes you are right, the effect is not perfect, and the water seems a little like mercury.
I noticed that if you change the water colors(r,g,b) to darker values,the transparency of water is very high,almost entirely transparent.

miez(Posted 2006) [#8]
There's also a problem with fog - Blitz3D terrain blends towards the camera fog colour, but aShadow waterplanes don't. :(
The refraction problem with sprites and other transparent objects might be caused because the aShadow system does a postprocess render AFTER the renderworld (drawing reflected/refracted water over the rendered screen). I was thinking of using plane clipping:

1 - clip the world a little above the water level, renderworld, postprocess render.
2 - don't do a cameracls, clip world beneath water level, renderworld.

This might work - I'd have to test...

stayne(Posted 2006) [#9]
I actually got a reply from him on this...

"Hi,
You using the water method with fog? (fog mode in water_sample2)
If this so, that will possible help reduction value of the bump-power and create down plane from SkyDome in colour of the land(will fix water's edge)

In any event this inaccuracy from method( such defects there is in water for HL2,
this possible minimizes with correction of the scene and parameter of water."

Nikko(Posted 2006) [#10]
The author of this library seems to have discontinued. Does someone has the source code it coudl be enhanced and fixed?

puki(Posted 2006) [#11]
I remember this thing - if anyone is intersted you can download all the demo stuff:

http://agametech.nm.ru/

More stuff in here:
http://andreyman.nm.ru/

I seem to remember that people had problems with purchasing this stuff due to the way it was being sold - the payment method was putting people off - it wasn't PayPal it was some kind of transfer of funds or something.

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#12]
Niko,

I've just bought this library yesterday and the author (Andrey) has answered my without any problem.
The library is absolutely amazing and the demo stuff puki
has pointed is smashing.
Recommended!!!!

You may go to this website to buy it.
www.plimus.com/jsp/buynow.jsp?templateId=43377&referrer=store&contractId=1667313

I've used Paypal as pay option.

Regards,

humanspacecraft(Posted 2007) [#13]
I have some strange problems with the glow-effect.
In one blitz-code where i incorporate a certain b3d_scene everything works well. In another blitz file containing only the respected scene i´ve got some weird transperency effect in the glow. I can see glows surrounding objects that are hidden behind other objects. In both codes i use the same lines to initialize the glow. Anyone who has an idea what´s wrong? Maybe some z-order issues?

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#14]
Could be..
I have too some strange problems with bloom...
I'm making an rts and at the moment just the landscape is being drawed on screen without anything more (grass, trees, troops...), the glow makes thw whole screen completely white..

The solution is a little bizarre but it works.. I put at the beginning random grass trying to be sure there are grass over the whole terrain.

That's the way in which I've could fix my problem, but definitely the glow sometimes has strange behaviours...

Have you achieve to cast shadows from a animated b3d model?
as the instructions says, Ashadow can do that, but all my
attempts has failed...

regards!