Polygon to Polygon collision and physics

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/Polygon to Polygon collision and physics

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm a beginner with Tokamak and I'm wondering how to use Tokamak along with Blitz3D to detect polygon to polygon collisions.

Thanks!

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#2]

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#3]
Anyone?

Sweenie(Posted 2006) [#4]
Tokamak doesn't do polygon to polygon detection.

The nearest thing in tokamak is primitive or convex hull against a static polygon soup(static mesh)

In this case you'll have to go for coldet or opcode which are specific libraries for this kind of collisions, however I can't remember if any of these got wrapped for Blitz3D.
You also have Nuclear Glory, if it's still around.

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#5]
What sort of collisions are you trying to do in Tokamak that require poly->poly collision? You normally use fairly simple convex objects colliding with either other convex objects or a static collision mesh.

Can you be more specific about what the problems are?

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#6]
I'm making a fantasy game where the player and the enemies have swords and fight each other. I need to detect collisions between the four combinations of collisions that can occour: good sword to bad sword, good sword to bad guy, bad sword to good guy, and bad guy to good guy.

Warren(Posted 2006) [#7]
You should be able to do that without poly-to-poly collision. If you wrap a box primitive around the swords, you could just check if those invisible box primitives intersect to check if they hit each other. Tokamak should be able to handle that.

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#8]
Sounds like a slightly odd use of Tokamak to me - do the swords need full physics?

Tokamak is better suited to physics systems such as ten-pn bowling, where you create a load of pin entities, a ball entity, then start the ball flying and let the physics system handle all the collisions, reactions, bouncing etc...

I can't see how you could apply this sort of system to sword fighting.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#9]
Sorry, I didn't know about putting boxes around entities to detect collisions ( I am a beginner you know)! Thanks for the help!