Are there any (video) tutorial for learning APE?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/Are there any (video) tutorial for learning APE?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all,

Are there any (video) tutorial for learning APE? It seems complex.

Thanks in advance.
Sammy
:)

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#2]
Heck no. Hehe, you surprised me!
0.2 maybe, though :) It's quite a lot better. (In fact, it's a completely different program).
(log... why not?): http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=7206&log=255
The new interface will be much better.

Anyway, over to APE 0.1

I don't have my program installed right now (weird though it may sound), but I can get a bit from memory.

If I recall correctly...

You can load a mesh to edit with File->Load. Sorry, no saving in this version.
Change selection modes with Obj. and Geom. buttons on the toolbar. Left click to select whatever you are selecting. Geometry settings can be changed after creation.
Space bar deselects selections. Two camera control modes, I think there is help for them in the help bar.
Whenever you load a mesh, a new entity is created on the entity list. These can all be edited individually. Entity related options are a bit limited, but I think there are some... somewhere.

Creating geometries:
Select the faces that you want to match your geometry's position and size to, set options with the stuff in the Geometry Creation Window, and press enter to create it.
The capsule matching function is a bit fiddly, so try to avoid those.

A note on surfaces:
Surfaces can be created using the Surfaces window, (if it's not visible, open the window with the Window menu), and then applied to geometries using their Surface dropdown box.

Modification:
Selected geometries can be moved at will, using either the movement peg things, or the Positions window. Their settings, except for shape, can also be tweaked.

Exporting:
Select the entity that you want to export, and hit Export single (I think above the entity list). I believe Export All also works as expected, in the File menu.

Other uses:
It is possible (and has been done) to use APE to place little nodes on entities for stuff like 3d models of things where you want little information nodes popping out of places. I noticed when I did it that the geometries appear to be moved, and then moved again, so always trust the position set by SetPositionAndRotation.