JV-ODE Real World

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/JV-ODE Real World

HippyGoth(Posted 2005) [#1]
I must say from what I've read on JV-ODE it looks really impressive, I'm almost willing to shell out my $22 to grab it now. My problem is how well does it work in the real world? Are there any media files of JV-ODE in action, it looks outstanding, but I really want to see it working.

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#2]
I don't have any media but it wouldn't be too hard to compile a demo. Though without that I vouch for it whole-heartedly. My project needs to run on the lowliest of machines, and I've had it running comfortably on a 233 MHz K6. With the optimizations for local spaces for objects, elliminating uneccesary collision checks, it's performance has gone a good deal to. It's easy to work with (when you understand it ;) ), easy to add jointed structures to, stable and reliable (to date!), and with some nice features including specific JV-ODE functions.

The only thing it's lacking as an easy editor. Much of my coding has been to create a simple editor good for my own needs (basically adding cubes and spheres, and now ragdolls).

I say go for it. Well worth the money, and i haven't looked back.

HippyGoth(Posted 2005) [#3]
Shifty all I'm needing this for is basic object to object, no ragdolls in this project. Next one though. :)

Given the quality of your posts I've read, I'm happy to take your word for it. Maybe as a community a nice easy tutorial is needed for it's use.

HippyGoth(Posted 2005) [#4]
Well, I got it, and I'm happy with $22 just to play around with the demos! :p

Good fun.

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#5]
Maybe as a community a nice easy tutorial is needed for it's use.

Have you seen this one?
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=48467

There's plenty of scope for a part 2 and 3, but the actual project is taking up the time needed to write further tutes.