Real cylinders in Tokamak...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/Real cylinders in Tokamak...

OrcSlayer(Posted 2005) [#1]
Would it be possible to create real cylinders out of convex geometries that behave properly? I know there are several ways to "fake it" but I'd prefer having accurate detection on the entire cylinder...

If so, I'm not really sure how to create a convex geometry, if someone could enlighten me I'd be very thankful. I noticed in the sample there was a .bin file that was involved. I take it this stores the geometry data, but I don't have a clue how to create one (or use it).

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#2]
Although in very basic stages of development, the most recent build of this program has a working Convex Hull section:
http://crumbsoftware.f2o.org/products/apoe/Details.html

To build your own convex geometry cylinder would work - in theory - but it would be impossible to resize it due to limitations mostly on Tokamak's part. However, there's no reason to have a cylinder when you've already got a perfectly matched convex geometry :) (Unless, that is, you want it to be perfectly smooth and round, which sadly can't really be done... but you could, I suppose, match the hull to a very smooth mesh)

OrcSlayer(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hmmm, seems to work ok. Can't figure out how to scale the result though, they always get created huge in blitz, but the APEO scaling functions don't seem to change the export size of the hull...

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#4]
Eek! Better get to the bottom of that one... How huge? 2 times proper size perhaps?
Is this the hulls or the boxes, or everything?

I can fix that pretty easily luckily... so I just need info.

Stuff (except convex hulls) can be resized via the "Position" window. Right now you'll need a calculator because I forgot to add a scale funtion (oops!).

OrcSlayer(Posted 2005) [#5]
Well, what I mean is...when I export the hull it's always the same size regardless of how I scale it in the editor...do I have to scale the mesh externally before I import it to create a properly sized hull?

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#6]
I think I see what you're saying here.
The convex hull is basically just a bunch of numbers for Tokamak to read which is processed out of vertex positions on your mesh. It would be a tricky thing to scale unless I knew the adjacency file format (which I don't). Therefore, it cannot be resized after it is created... (Though now that I'm thinking, that could be made possible though it would cause a lot of horror on export)
What do you mean properly sized? Is it too big or something? Or just a misworded bit?

OrcSlayer(Posted 2005) [#7]
I see what you're saying, what I mean is I'll have to properly size my meshes before I make a convex hull out of them. It was a misunderstnading on my part about how they work...thanks for helping me figure this out, your program will be very helpful!