Jedive ODE Wrapper (part 2)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/Jedive ODE Wrapper (part 2)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#1]

... aaaand continue...

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#2]
Time for another quick update :)

The TriMesh function is still in good working order, I'm getting very close now with the rotation issues too. Something still seems wrong with the Quat<>Euler rotation equations at the moment, they seem to be converting pitch, yaw and roll incorrectly. The previous versions worked around this problem but that's what broke the TriMesh, so I must tread carefully. I'll move on to the cylinder issues once the rotation is corrected properly. If it takes a while to fix the rotation, it might be worth leaving the cylinders until V1.04 so that you can all tinker with the TriMesh stuff in the mean time.

Anyway, back to the grindstone... :)

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#3]
Nice work viper... got to hand it to you.

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks m8 :)

Looking forward to seeing the 'stuff on the pipeline' Mustang ;)

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#5]
yeah come on musty! there can't be that many nappies left to change :)

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#6]
Good work VIP3R and JEDIVE!!!

/Alienforce

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#7]
I suggest you add a dGetVersion() function.

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#8]
Once again, Halo damn good idea!

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#9]

yeah come on musty! there can't be that many nappies left to change :)

I wish... main problem is that Jenna (our baby) is sharing the room with all my PC stuff (combined nursery/study) and I get usually home from work around 7pm and she goes to sleep around 7pm... I might get an hour if I'm lucky to do "my stuff". Weekends are bit better and as of right now my wife is taking Jenna to our parents so that we both can spend one day doing what we want without distractions. :)

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#10]
Remember, as you work, Jenna is learning from the Master :)

Our son Toby is almost a year old and we don't have a spare room for him right now so things are very similar here! However it's sleep thats the thing - he just won't sleep through the night... ARrrrgg :)

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#11]
TRIMESH AND ROTATION ISSUES ARE NOW FIXED!!!

Well folks, that was possibly the hardest and most confusing amount of debugging I think I've ever done. But I hope you will be pleased to hear that the new JV-ODE lib is now working as well as (if not better) than any other ODE lib for Blitz3D/Plus.

The cylinders will be looked at next as they are still not quite right, but I think we should get this update out first. I'll be adding a get version function too (good idea Halo).

I'm just tidying up the code and getting the new demos ready. As soon as the tidying is done I'll send Jedive the new wrapper source and we'll send out your new wrappers.

Thanks for your patience over the last few days :)

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#12]
GREAT news! Thumbs up!

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#13]
Thats awesome!
I appreciate the effort everyone has put out.

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#14]
I've added the 'dGetVersion' function. The demos are ready now, just waiting for a terrain mesh to include with the TriMesh Car Demo.

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#15]
Sounds nice - hope it all works...

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#16]
The cylinders still need some TLC, I'll be taking a look at those after the new update.

Everything else works like a dream so far :)

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#17]
Whats stopping you re-writing the whole lib and releasing it opensource btw?

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#18]
I have actually re-written the lib, the earlier one was heavily flawed.

I had a chat with Jedive about the wrapper and we both decided to keep the project 'as is' for four main reasons:
1) Those that have already purchased the lib would be pretty annoyed (and understandably so) if it were suddenly available free of charge as an open source project.
2) It is incredibly easy to break the lib, especially the TriMesh and alignment. One wrong parameter can cause complete mayhem. It would be much easier to maintain with two coders (Jedive and myself).
3) The lib is 99% complete now, so making it open source would be a bit pointless really.
4) It's price is ridiculously low anyway, 10 Euros is an absolute bargin.

JaviCervera(Posted 2005) [#19]
The wrapper will be called JV-ODE from now on. There will be a new website, and version number wil start at 1.0 again. You will be able to purchase through ShareIt or PayPal, and VIP3R and I will share the benefits 50%.

The new version won't include the source code BTW. All the registered users of JediveODE will of course be upgraded to JV-ODE.

The price will still be 10€ for the PayPal version, and the ShareIt version will cost 12€. That's because we receive less money from ShareIt, so we want people to use PayPal.

@flying willy: The fact that VIP3R got paid for his previous work on the lib, and that we'll go 50/50 from now on, is why this will continue as it is. Anyway, why are you being so negative about this library and me?

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#20]
Charge more money. Blitz users will complain no matter what, but ODE, DarkBasic, and other users will gladly pay. I would much rather see an economically viable product so that you are motivated to keep it updated.

{cYan|de}(Posted 2005) [#21]

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#22]
I'd like to see source code sent to the buyers for a few reasons. First, many of us will invest considerable time in our projects that rely on ODE, and when we experience problems we won't have the tools to correct them. Second, The current low price of the wrapper does not motivate future support in my opinion. Lastly, didn't the release of the source lead to the rewrite and ultimately improve it?

Please reconsider releasing source, or possible options for buyers to aquire source. Halo makes some valid points, think about what he is saying. I look forward to our continued success and accomplishments. Whatever your decision, thank you.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#23]
Ummm... my 2 euro cents about the pricing and source code:

-I would have gladly paid 20 $US for this lib because it really enables me to do Triple-A games in a way it opens new gameplay options and interaction between the gameworld and the player. Physics in a indie game is not that common even these days, so it makes me and my game look "pro" and hopefully much more fun and even someways more easier for me to code.

-I don't need the source code because I don't have a suitable compiler and wouldn't be able to understand the source code anyways - if I would, then I would have done this wrapper myself :)

Open sourcing it just leads to this and that version made by this and that, and all being broken somehow but slightly differently. It would be a nightmare trying to guess who has the "best version today" - no, keep it simple and so that only two coders make the updates IMO. So what VIP3R / Jedive / Halo are saying above I agree 101%.

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#24]
@flying willy: The fact that VIP3R got paid for his previous work on the lib, and that we'll go 50/50 from now on, is why this will continue as it is. Anyway, why are you being so negative about this library and me?

Because you released a library that was broken, and made claims of it being fully featured with a knock down price. Then you claim you can't update it for 3 weeks. OF COURSE you can expect someone to comment! What do you think?

That is not being negative about you and the library... you know me on IRC - I am friendly with you :)

Open sourcing it just leads to this and that version made by this and that, and all being broken somehow but slightly differently.
Thats the first thing you've said on these forums that is utter rubbish, mustang. ODE -IS- opensource! that is WHY it's this good! :)

I think you are thinking about maybe the typical mmorpg... remember in my earlier post I suggested jedive send out the source - if I never did this, maybe Viper would not have gotten his hands on the source and we would still be waiting?

Viper and jedive are now doing work on it and thats cool...

JaviCervera(Posted 2005) [#25]
Because you released a library that was broken, and made claims of it being fully featured with a knock down price. Then you claim you can't update it for 3 weeks. OF COURSE you can expect someone to comment! What do you think?
I said since the beginning that in my opinion it was NOT ready for release and that it may contain bugs, but some people said they don't care about it and that they would like to purchase now, so I released it.

I am using ODE with the Cipher engine, so I think I had enough experience with ODE to think that the lib was bug-free. The problem was that Cipher and ODE both use rotation matrices, so this was something I never had to look at, but in Blitz, I had to convert between ODE type of data and Blitz type of data. And I did it wrong.

Anyway, thanks to the work VIP3R has made on the wrapper after that, it all works correctly now, he got paid for what he did, and we'll go 50/50 from now on.

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#26]
Thanks for your thoughts on this everyone.

Originally I would've been happy to release the source to the wrapper, but since I've done the re-write my thoughts have changed about this. The code is really complex and very easily broken, it would be a nightmare for Jedive and me to keep the wrapper stable in this situation tbh. If you ever experience problems with the wrapper you can be rest assured that it will be looked at immediately.

For now at least, both Jedive and I feel the source should remain closed. Obviously this isn't set in stone and would be reconsidered if necessary.

Also, I'm intending on using this lib for a project of my own that was on hold until a stable wrapper was made available. This will motivate me more than money, whatever the cost of the wrapper. I want my project finished too :)

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#27]

I suggested jedive send out the source - if I never did this, maybe Viper would not have gotten his hands on the source and we would still be waiting?

Ummm... yes, I guess you're right. But Jedive would have fixed the lib eventually although it might have been few weeks more work for him (alone). And I'm sure that he would have asked help in the case of bugs being too difficult to track down.

But anyways - how things are now is just great, we have nicely working wrapper and two geniuses to take care of it... although it's not "open" anymore who really cares? I'm happy if it works and I have it :)

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#28]
Yes I agree - I am just happy that two experts are working on it and progress is being made.

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#29]
Looking forward to new re-release.

Let's rock and roll !!

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#30]
Any new updates?

JaviCervera(Posted 2005) [#31]
JV-ODE will be released tonight, or maybe tomorrow. We have new site, new demos, things working correctly (or that's what it seems), and new price. We have decided to raise the price to 15€ (17€ for the ShareIt version), as we have to split the benefits now.

As I have said before, all the existing users will be upgraded to the new library.

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#32]
Will you automatically send out the lib to existing
purchasers? or leave a link here?

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#33]
At last.

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#34]

Will you automatically send out the lib to existing purchasers?

Yep, all existing JediveODE users will receive the new wrapper by email :)

I'm just finishing off the new wrapper now, so it should be tonight/tomorrow...

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#35]
Will it be optimised for speed?

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#36]
How do you mean, the Euler<>Quat conversions you mentioned before?

Paolo(Posted 2005) [#37]
Any compiled demos? where please?

... and I don't want a couple of boxes moving around ... I want a damn good amazing demo working perfectly...
is it too much? :)

arrrrrgh!, I'm crazy with these physics library, first I started with the old ODE wrapper,... then I translate my game to tokamak and although I found some odd bugs there I could complete something ... and now a new wrapper ... .... did I say arrrrrrrrrrgghhh! ? :)

Paolo.

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#38]
There are no compiled demos yet, sorry Eurythmia. The new JV-ODE wrapper has some .bb demos included though.

JV-ODE is now available here:

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=43653

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#39]
Hi Eurythmia !
I live by your car demo man so get back over to ODE.

The New wrapper looks and feels great.
I'm breaking out in a cold sweat just talking about it.
I'm trying all the demos now and checking it out, and so far I've got a big smile on my face.
8)
Outstanding work gentleman!

I was looking at UpdateGeoms and thought we could make use of 'dBodyIsEnabled'.

Function UpdateGeoms()

If dBodyIsEnabled(ode\mesh)

For ode.ODEGeom=Each ODEGeom
	RotateEntity ode\mesh,dGeomGetPitch#(ode\geom),dGeomGetYaw#(ode\geom),dGeomGetRoll#(ode\geom)
	PositionEntity ode\mesh,dGeomGetPositionX#(ode\geom),dGeomGetPositionY#(ode\geom),dGeomGetPositionZ#(ode\geom)
  Next

end if

End Function

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#40]
Go for it Wayne :)

@All - This thread is about to close...

PLEASE USE THE NEW THREAD HERE:

www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=43653