Best Blitz3d Ide?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/Best Blitz3d Ide?

Stellar(Posted 2004) [#1]
what is the best ide for blitz3d?
pls post with plussess and minusses also about the price :(

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
Probably VisualBlitz, considering the price.

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#3]
I second that. Without doubt the VisualBlitz! It's fantastic.

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#4]
Protean :)

Download the demo's and decide which one suits your need the best ;) You need to give Protean some time as its got LOADS of features.

Stellar(Posted 2004) [#5]
any others?

Iamhere(Posted 2004) [#6]
http://www.future-coding.de/
BlitzEdit

The HP is german, but the Editor can also used in english

Iamhere(Posted 2004) [#7]
Or use PSPad is a free Editor very compfortable and free
you can configure it for any Compiler.

http://www.pspad.com/

Stellar(Posted 2004) [#8]
too bad.i have bought protean :( . hella expensive but nice stuff :)

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#9]
Another vote for VisualBlitz

Barliesque(Posted 2004) [#10]
Protean is a top notch IDE--they don't get much better for *any* language. It'll also support BlitzMAX --work in progress.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#11]
I use the default. I don't see the point of using the others.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2004) [#12]
I'm all for Protean!

Alienforce(Posted 2004) [#13]
Protean! Works great for me.

/T

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#14]
Another vote for the default IDE.

GO DEFALUT IDE!
w00t! The default IDE that comes with Blitz3D is THE BEST EVER!

Manromen(Posted 2005) [#15]
don't get it why to use a third party ide ...

JaviCervera(Posted 2005) [#16]
Well, the lack of a decent Undo / Redo feature in the default IDE is a good reason to use another one.

GfK(Posted 2005) [#17]
I'm using Protean now. Used to use Visualblitz but it doesn't seem to be getting updated any more. Protean is way better once you get used to it being that bit more complicated.

Dazman(Posted 2005) [#18]
A big thumbs up for Protean here. Like Gfk says it takes a bit of getting used to but once you've set it up to suit yourself it really increases your productivity.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#19]
it really increases your productivity.

It wouldn't increase mine :D (6 months spent on the same simple project that a buffoon could do while sleeping).

I have checked out protean and it seemed pretty cool though, once I got the actual text part of the IDE to span more than 5 pixels...

shamanenCoder(Posted 2005) [#20]
for me ... Protean! the best!

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#21]
Protean is really good and there is also a verygood blitzmax version... Using them booth everyday!

/Alienforce

ckob(Posted 2005) [#22]
defualt IDE here as well. I've tried every single one of the other oens but keep going back for some reason. If you want an IDE chalked full of features go with protean.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#23]
Default IDE here too. Can't be arsed to ponce around with the other ones.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#24]
I use Microsoft's Excel. But you can give JEdit a try, its free and very powerful.

Conan(Posted 2005) [#25]
DEFAULT!!!!!!!
DEFAULT RULZ!!!!!

NewtSoup(Posted 2005) [#26]
@ Conan & Manromen & No Enemies

Two words

Function Folding

The IDE I use is just called IDE. its incomplete but it does function folding which makes it 10 times more attractive than the (perfectly usable) default (sorry mark ;) )it also has a colour chooser which is quite handy and hot key block insertion (functions types loops etc) and the context sensitive help links to the manual nicely.

Downloaded it about 2 years ago I'd guess and never bothered updating it. cant even remember where I got it now and cant find out as the "visit homepage" in the about dialog doesnt work :D

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#27]
When you guys that use the default IDE ever do bigger projects... you pray for function folding and project management. When you have a hundred include files... it's not even funny with the default ide no more :) lol...

semar(Posted 2005) [#28]
If only the default IDE had the function list alphabetically sorted...!!!

Sigh !

Ah, nearly forgotten: default IDE for me. But looking around fot other sexy editors...

Sergio.

GfK(Posted 2005) [#29]
If only the default IDE had the function list alphabetically sorted...!!!
Protean has this feature.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#30]
I own both VisualBlitz and Protean IDEs so I can assess this more clearly.

As far as the popular commercial IDEs go (Visual Blitz and Proteam, that is) it depends on what you're looking for. Overall you'll probably like Visual Blitz better if you're just looking for an improvement over the default IDE. For more advanced users, Protean has a lot of features other IDEs (commercial or free) just don't have. The interface is totally customizable and has a better handle on project development.

The one issue I found with Visual Blitz thus far is with larger projects where you're making changes in an include file and then hit run, it'll try to compile the include file because it's the currently selected document, as opposed to being told what the main source document is that should be run whenever you hit F5. It's nothing really, though.

Get Protean only if you require a lot out of your IDE. Otherwise, you'll be very happy with Visual Blitz and the itty bitty $15 price tag.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#31]
visual blitz is really nice, particularly for newbies like me, as it has a drop down list of commands that appear as you type, so you can often learn new things without having to look for them.

The protean demo I tried completely blows everything else away, and the only missing feature I liked was the autocomplete I mentioned previously. Otherwise there's no comparrison.

lots of useful tools, folding functions, types etc, colour blocks etc can be assigned to different kinds of code, so fora visual person like me it's really easy to find my way around, and flod away things in my code I'm not concerned with.

One other feature that would prove useful for me, would be folding comment blocks for blitz3D. looks like the Blitzmax version has REM/endrem which folds in protean, meaning you can optimize your workspace a lot easier.

As a newbie programmer, I'm often using the editor as a sketchpad to try out new things and having loads of visible blocks of commented code gets in the way of easily reading the flow of what I'm doing.

Once you use either visualblitz or protean there really isn't any turning back. I'm going to buy protean once taxes are out the way and in the meantime have to suffer the default without an Undo.

The Bmax ide isn't too bad though, and does have some extra functionality including undo :)

Caff(Posted 2005) [#32]
Protean rocks. Takes a few minutes to set it up how you want, but once it's going, it does everything a good IDE should.

StOrM3(Posted 2005) [#33]
Brain Editor Pro, Visual Blitz had a huge lack of updates, and lack of support, everytime I emailed ED I got the ol' I'm working on a game project so I can't make an update now, and I 'm like thats fine, but your game should come 2nd, especially when you have a product you promise updates on, to paying customers, and then slowly allow them to drop off to nothing.

I asked him for one update, and over the course of over 2 months he couldn't get it in, a friggin todo feature, its there, just doesn't work... <g> how hard would this have been to throw in, either store to simple text file, or reg, or whatever, and 3 version updates came and went with not even a change to the todo feature, or an email back, except to say I am sorry I am too busy at this moment, an I will try to get it in the next update, and low and behold that was 3 updates earlier, and nothing...

So I requested a refund, and I can say, he did act promply on that request, which I promptly used to purchase Brain Edit Pro, which support Blitz3D w/ todo list, project support, exe compilation, debugging etc, case sensitive helpm, function folding, etc.., hmmm also, he just released a help convertor which now makes it even easier to add addon libs help files to the db files for help and context hints etc..

and not only blitz3d support, but also, dark basic pro, 3d rad, 3d game studio, Torque, all of which I own! and for about the same money, imho, nothing can beat BEP especially since the owner / programmer, has been very open minded and helpful about promptly fixing any bugs and even adding features we request, I beta test for him, and have helped get several issues fixed, and new features added, and it didn't take 3 updates, or month"S" not he plural there to get it done.

Sorry, I'll get off my box now, but I am really p'o'd since Ed kinda blew one of my projects off schedule by lack of updates, and it was kinda important since it was for a contest, so I suggest everyone check out Brain Edit Pro, as he is even improving the torque support, to include C/C++ and better debugging features, which means BEP will also be able to be used to edit C, C++ sourcecode and header files.

Enjoy!

Ken - Owner MirroVision Studios
http://www.pain-killa.com/
copyright(c)2005 - All Rights Reserved.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#34]
I'm using IndEd right now. Though it was giving me a bit of trouble before, after a few updates it has been working quite well with Blitz, especially for a free IDE :) It has fantastic support to. All of my problems were responded to within 24 hours, and fixed via a public update extremely quickly.

Hey, ow do you get refunds on downloaded software anyway??!

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#35]
Visual Blitz had a huge lack of updates, and lack of support, everytime I emailed ED I got the ol' I'm working on a game project
I love Visual Blitz, and I happily use it. Any time I emailed Ed about a support question, I got a reply within 24 hours. When I noticed I had missed a couple of updates and emailed him to inquire about how to get the latest registered version, I had a relpy within 24 hours, along with a download link to the latest registered version.

Brain Editor Pro,
I have not used it in years, but it was always rock-solid stable, and the author is very attentive and quick to fix bugs or provide help. I would definitely recommend this over Protean.

with not even a change to the todo feature,
The BEST and ONLY todo program I use is e-Todo as an added bonus, it is free.

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#36]
visualblitz if your worried about $

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#37]
..I'm 100% for default IDE...

mrtricks(Posted 2005) [#38]
Default here too, but if I had money floating about I'd get Protean or VisualBlitz

RRK1020(Posted 2005) [#39]
defalt

altitudems(Posted 2005) [#40]
Visual Blitz Here

Warren(Posted 2005) [#41]
Default? 1 level of undo! I don't know how you people get any work done...

big10p(Posted 2005) [#42]
Default? 1 level of undo! I don't know how you people get any work done...

We just don't make any mistakes when coding! :P

Seriously though, I don't like using undo, anyway. I don't trust it. I'm sure there'd be occasions when I'd accidentally undo too much, thus causing havoc in my code. :/

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#43]
I now use my own W.I.P. 60% done IDE.

Warren(Posted 2005) [#44]
Seriously though, I don't like using undo, anyway. I don't trust it. I'm sure there'd be occasions when I'd accidentally undo too much, thus causing havoc in my code. :/

... wtf?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#45]
... wtf?

e.g. I have a complex function. I rewrite/add code to improve/add functionality or optimize it. It doesn't work, so I use multiple undo. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly how far back to undo to ("Do I undo this line of code, or was it in the original?"). Confusion ensues.

If multiple undo works for you, great. I'm all made up for ya'.

Warren(Posted 2005) [#46]
Man ... Some of you guys are scary. :) I really can't see how anyone can use any application with a single level of undo but if it works for you, great!

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#47]
Don't worry Warren, you're not the only one =]

Stellar(Posted 2005) [#48]
have buy Protean Ide, 3 month no update :( , 40 $ lost <_< , he just 'run' away

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#49]
Protean isn't receiving updates, but it's not $40 'lost'. You get a very nice, capable IDE for that money which is, IMO, definitely worth it. I haven't found any unusable bugs to incapacitate it.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#50]
Well, it was worth it now as much as it was worth it 3 months ago, anyways. The price of a product does not diminish with the date of the version tag...

Cold Storage(Posted 2010) [#51]
For anyone visiting this topic now, PROTEAN IS NOW FREE to download... http://www.nullcity.com/Default.aspx?Post=8 :OD

Cold Storage(Posted 2010) [#52]
Anyone know where Brain Editor Pro went?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#53]
Protean was my IDE of choice for long time, loved it long time, however IDEal is pretty swish and it initialises pretty quick compared to Protean. Sorry Protean.....

ZJP(Posted 2010) [#54]
R.I.P Protean, Project Studio 2007 too ;)
+1 Ideal

JP

Pinete(Posted 2010) [#55]
Hi!,
trust me, the best IDE is IDEAL.
I was a Protean registered user and it's good, but IDEAL offers more features, it's faaaaaster than Protean (loading is 100x fast than protean, file opening, IDE behaviour...) and it allows to use unicode working together with Fasttext.

regards,

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#56]
Pinete: the protean that was released for free or the original protean back then?

Since the end of Protean (the beta of protean that never went out and isn't available in the free one was worlds ahead) its likely iDeal, independent of the problems it has with performance on larger files and projects and its stability).

Uber Jase(Posted 2010) [#57]
Do any of the IDE's work in Windows 7? I had problems with IDEal and Vista and haven't tried it since.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#58]
@Uber, no offense meant, but your signature link does not seem to work (;-)

Have not got around to installing IDEal on my W7 machine - will let you know soon!

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#59]
Ideal works "fine" on Win7 64 and already worked "fine" on Vista 64, given you run it as admin.

Rroff(Posted 2010) [#60]
I use the default IDE and its fine for most things - the only features I miss from when I'm developing in other IDEs for other languages is a bookmarks folder - really useful for tracking todos/bugs and a popup menu with a list of properties for types.

Mystik(Posted 2010) [#61]
Have you tried refreshing the definitions in Ideal on Win7 64? Crashes every time on my machines.

Steve.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#62]

Have you tried refreshing the definitions in Ideal on Win7 64? Crashes every time on my machines.

Just wondering, and I admit I don't have experioence of Windows 7 or 64-bit OS, but I had an issue on XP 32-bit where refreshing definietions would crash IDE because a duplicate line declaration had snuck in one of the decls files.

Tab(Posted 2010) [#63]
@Mystik Just add your definitions manualy editing the "Blitz3D.lng" file.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#64]
Is Visual Blitz even available anymore????

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#65]
I'm still using IDeal on a w7 machine

Pipes(Posted 2012) [#66]
No doubt IDeal on a w7 machine. Especially if you like custom code folding. I've not found a better IDE for any programming. Too bad it's no longer upgraded or ported to other languages i.e BlitzMax, PowerBasic, FreeBasic etc.

regards

_PJ_(Posted 2012) [#67]
IDEal for me :)

Yue(Posted 2012) [#68]
ideal i like mucho Windows 98 SE xD