Why no Newton thread?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/Why no Newton thread?

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#1]
www.physicsengine.com

VIP3R(Posted 2004) [#2]

Why no Newton thread?

Wouldn't it need to be wrapped into a Blitz3D usable form before a thread is dedicated to it?

Looks like a stunning physics library I must admit.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#3]
I am leaning towards using it:
http://www.newtondynamics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6089#6089

It has a DLL, so you just need to write a .decls file.

God, isn't there a way to auto-generate a .decls file from a DLL? There are a lot of commands to deal with.

Koriolis(Posted 2004) [#4]
God, isn't there a way to auto-generate a .decls file from a DLL? There are a lot of commands to deal with.
No, you can only get function names from the DLL, you'd still need the parameter types and returns type.

On the other hand, you can take their header (.h) file and parse it to produce a .decls file.

VIP3R(Posted 2004) [#5]

I am leaning towards using it

Great, are you planning to release a wrapper then? that would be fantastic.

If you plan to sell it, please don't go mad with the pricing. If it's just a case of creating a .decls you won't be doing yourself any favours.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#6]
I don't think I will be using it. For my hilarious conversation with the author, go here:
http://leadwerks.com/post/newtonsucks.html

VIP3R(Posted 2004) [#7]
Oh dear, you sure have a way with words halo LOL :)

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yes, well done. Twat.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#9]
Nice one halo!

GfK(Posted 2004) [#10]
I don't think I will be using it. For my hilarious conversation with the author, go here:
leadwerks.com/post/newtonsucks.html
You must be very proud.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#11]
> Yes, well done. Twat.

Heheh. Halo you're a genious, a cross between Einstein and Adolf Hitler.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#12]
I'm surprised you thought it was a good idea to post a link to that thread, halo. You do realize you come out of it looking like a total goon, right? He whooped you good! How is the bruised ego, BTW? :P

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#13]
What are you talking about? I crushed him, and his broken English.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#14]
lol. You either have a very dry sense of humour or are delusional. Either way, that's funny! :)

Koriolis(Posted 2004) [#15]
Where has the "f*** you piecoe of something" post gone? Is halo starting to measure its words?
That must really be christmas.

maximo(Posted 2004) [#16]
What a child :D

Thanks for the laugh...

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#17]
http://www.newtondynamics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=924

Maybe the real thread is more telling.

Sweenie(Posted 2004) [#18]
There is something fishy with your link, Halo.

The newton-guys has some strange names on their imagefolders... img src="newtonsucks_files/spacer.gif"...
You are pulling our legs Halo. ;)

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#19]
With all due respect I do not think you have written collision with ellipses...
I guess the guy wasn't kind enough...

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#20]
I hate that "with all due respect..." or "no offense, but...". It usually means someone is about to insult you, and wants to shift the blame to you for taking offense.

Yeah, I saved the page because I figured it would get edited.

maximo(Posted 2004) [#21]
So you really did say those childish words. Applauz!

Someone as smart as you, I mean smarter then you said something you coudn't take and this time you can't say I'm better programmer so you do what a child would do, You have our congratulations Master...

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#22]
Europeans are so pussified.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#23]
No, it means that they are trying to tell you something WITHOUT insulting you. They already know it could be a touchy subject, which is why they are being careful to phrase it they way they did.

You taking offense, shows me how ignorant you are about him trying to make a statement without starting a conflict.

You are still an ass, just like you've always shown to be in the past with everyone else here on these forums. You need to take a chill pill, and get off your high-horse.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#24]
Go drink your estrogen tea.

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#25]
time to nuke this thread ...

Chroma(Posted 2004) [#26]

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#27]
The language, the personal attacks, the "bitching" is making me embarressed to be part of these forums. PLEASE stay calm, professional and respect each other!

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#28]
All my comments are hilariously entertaining.

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#29]
@Halo
May I recommend that you EDIT the post you have submitted that contains a link to a discussion on another forum where you have used highly in-appropriate words in your replies? Please?

I have respect for everyone here, including you, but replies from anyone - to anyone - in that kind of tone and attitude is completely out-of-hand and unacceptable.

This thread should not only be locked, but completely removed.

Chroma(Posted 2004) [#30]
Halo you are a hoot. I deleted my post above because I was whining. And I read my post and thought, "What a whiner!". POOF!!

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#31]
If you disagree with anything I say or think, you are wrong.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#32]
Sigh.

Why would Halo even want pill based collision? If you use a pill you might prevent players from walking up steep slopes, but you can do that with sphere based collisions and you don't lose valuable information.

It would be much better to use two spheres stacked on top of one another, that collide with the world independently.

If you move these spheres together, then you can determine things about the local world which are very useful for gameplay.

For example:

If the top sphere is pushed towards the bottom while walking along the ground, the player should duck because the ceiling is getting lower. Past a certain point, they player should then lay prone, and/or be crushed.

If the top sphere moves towards the bottom while jumping, then the player has hit their head on the ceiling.

If the top sphere moves back, away from the vertical axis, while moving forward, then the player has encountered a ledge, and they can climb up it.

The idea is to keep trying to move the top and bottom spheres back into position realitve to one another, and using any offsets from these default locations to determine the shape of what the player is pressing up against.

You can do more by adding additional spheres, but one would want at least this basic setup in most any modern FPS.

Raycasting to try to do the same thing would be subject to errors, like trying to climb up onto ledges which are fenced off. And trying to do both this and use a capsule at the same time wouldn't work.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#33]
Swift, how much money have you made programming?

sswift(Posted 2004) [#34]
Well if your goal is to be the Michael Jackson of the computer game industry rather than the Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, then congratulations Halo, you have succeeded. :-)

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#35]
Would that be the female-hormone-taking Michael?
or the little-boy-molestor Michael?

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#36]
Okay...
Yah, a Newton thread would be great.
Wait, I have an idea!
A battle of the physics engines in which we choose the best one, pretend to attack the creators of every other engine, and then launch into mislead discussions in which people seem to miss very important links without noticing that what they are saying is being ignored as a result.

The "God of programming" has told me to want a wrapper for Newton, newly sparking my interest in it, and then moments later told me to hate Newton. I suppose most "gods" do contradict themselves though. Can't blame them.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#37]
I am assuming he means that Mozart is good and Jackson sucks, and makes lots of money. Of course, you can also suck and make no money. That would be like...maybe Gwar? Then you can also kick ass, and make money. That would be like me, or maybe Tool.

God, what a faggoty analogy to make. He can't even use a kick-ass classical composer, like Bach. Mozart is a weeny. "Oh, look at me in my silly white wig! Look how many notes I can fit in one measure! Ooh-la-la!" Bach would just put a German battle-axe through Mozart's chest, then take a dump on his head...yeah...Germans can kick English ass in any century.

I think Newton's okay, and it's the only active free physics engine. The author made the mistake of crossing me, so I had to crush his nuts, but I may still use it.

Tracer(Posted 2004) [#38]

Germans can kick English ass in any century.

So THAT's why the Germans lost the Battle of Britain during WW2 even if they had superior numbers in the air and, arguably, better aircraft ;)

Tracer

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#39]
P-L-E-A-S-E .... guys! get your act together!!!

sswift(Posted 2004) [#40]
"He can't even use a kick-ass classical composer, like Bach."

Don't be silly. Everyone knows that Edvard Grieg's classic "In The Hall of the Mountain King" is the greatest peice of music ever composed. Bach sounds tone deaf in comparison!

Here is an mp3 so you can revel in its true magesty!

KiwiSteve(Posted 2004) [#41]
Bach would just put a German battle-axe through Mozart's chest, then take a dump on his head...yeah...Germans can kick English ass in any century.

Since when was Mozart English? He was born in Salzburg.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#42]
No one cares.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#43]
"The author made the mistake of crossing me, so I had to crush his nuts, but I may still use it."

Wonderful... Halo, you should be on stage, you're one of the funniest people I've had the good fortune to happen upon :)

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#44]
"so I had to crush his nuts"

By swearing like a child, throwing your toys out of the pram, then withdrawing all your comments and grovelling? Heh., well done. Twat.