ODE

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Userlibs/ODE

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#1]
What the hell kind of a web site are they running? I can't find any demos, and all I can find under "community" is some "wiki" ewok crap.

Anyways, can ODE handle collision of an upright "pill" shape against convex or triangle meshes, for player collisions against the map? Tokamak does not support this kind of collision, and I found that mixing my own collision with Tokamak's produced some undesirable results. Don't tell me that I can invent my own method, or that I can force a pill shape to remain upright, because those will produce bad results down the line. Just tell me whether it does it or not.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#2]
Tokamak does not support this kind of collision

Can you elaborate on that? I used upright pill shapes against triangle meshes in Bowling Babes and it seems rock solid.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#3]
You can invent your own method, or you can force a pill shape to remain upright. It shouldn't produce bad results
if you code it right.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#4]
Sybixsus, I assume you mean bowling pins, which do no stay upright.

Ice9, that is just the kind of ignorant shallow answer I specifically requested you not post.

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#5]
That halo, is the kind of antagonistic post I would prefer / demand you not post.

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#6]
Why would you want to force a realtime physics system to use an entity that always remains upright? That sort of defeats the point of having it there - you might as well fake the player collision and apply impulses to objects that you actually want to move - if you don't want the player object to respond as a physics object (ie. a cyclinder will fall over more often than not when it hits something) then don't use one.

My Tokamak ragdoll rider and bike uses the Blitz collision sysetem for the bike against the cars - once a collision is detected the system is switched over to Tokamak bodies which are given initial velocities, then Tokamak handles the motion of all the bodies during the crash. Seems to me you could apply the same system for a player interacting with objects within a FPS framework.

Chroma(Posted 2004) [#7]

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#8]
Sybixsus, I assume you mean bowling pins, which do no stay upright.

Well I do mean bowling pins. But there were certain parts of the game where I wanted pins which could not fall over. They still collided with other objects ( eg: ball, other pins which are moving ) just fine.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#9]
Hes talking of the collision reqired to enable an FPS player to go up stairs but not steep hills, i assume...