BLITZ3D 9-Lesson CRASH COURSE

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Tutorials/BLITZ3D 9-Lesson CRASH COURSE

j-man(Posted 2006) [#1]
Get ready to actually CODE your own glorious 3D or 2.5D GAME using Blitz3D
Each of the lessons builds upon the previous and is divided up into 3 parts.

1) A fun sample program to read, copy and RUN!
2) List of new BASIC commands with descriptions
3) A CHALLENGE to modify and OWN the code!

2.5D http://jnoodle.com/Blitz3D/index.html
3D http://jnoodle.com/Blitz3D_1/index.html

Last edited 2011

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#2]
Pretty intresting. But I think you need to take a look at the colour scheme. Its abit jarring

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#3]
Nice content. I'll be running through this myself asap. :o)

Is there a decent window form editor/library available for Blitz3D?
If you are looking for a good free one, BLUI is it!

Sadly the link to BLUI in the above FAQ entry is dead.

j-man(Posted 2006) [#4]
Fixed the BLUI link LineOf7s ! :D
boomboom, what color scheme would you recommend?

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#5]
i second boomboom,

try using a color scheme that doesnt contrast so offensivly, and dont use too many colors. 2 or 3 colors would be best.

j-man(Posted 2006) [#6]
again.. what color scheme would you recommend? you give me the colors and I'll make it less "offensive" ;)

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#7]
well, since people will be programming at the same time as they are reading through the tutorials, why not copy the blitz IDE colour scheme?

j-man(Posted 2006) [#8]
I tried to go to boomboom's site:
http://www.chrisbate.com/
to get a color scheme idea and no such site :(
Then went to n8r2k's site for color scheme inspiration
http://www.n8r2k.deviousbytes.com/
it was standard black on white, too bright and contrasting for my eyes...

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#9]
Yes my site is down atm since I had nothing to put on it :) But I should be putting up my animations over the summer and getting it all sorted to try to get a job with :(

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#10]
the color scheme is up to you, look around at nice looking sites for ideas.

I dont see why everyone thinks black on grey/white like my site is too contrasting i? it might be if you spend your whole day glued to the monitor, seriously, do something else like watch the television

j-man(Posted 2006) [#11]
As boomboom requested, and I agreed, the site is now Blitz3D color schemed-ish. Thanks for the constructive criticism. I can take it ;)

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#12]
um, its still the same

puki(Posted 2006) [#13]
I've bookmarked it to read later.

j-man(Posted 2006) [#14]
It's all up and lookin sweet! Maybe refresh?

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#15]
Hrmm. No... no it's definitely the same. :o)

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#16]
make the frame a bit larger, its a wee bit too small for the index page and scolling shakes up the screen alot

j-man(Posted 2006) [#17]
Blitz3D color scheme as was requested.
Fixed the frame now n8r2k ....
http://jnoodle.com/Blitz3D/index.html

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#18]
cool looks good :)

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#19]
Okay - NOW it's changed - but it certainly hadn't when I last looked.

Still, much more consistent. Not that it bothered me in the first place. :o)

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#20]
it changed back, at least the outside of the frame and the first page in the frame. The content is b3d colors still. Did you mean to do this?

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#21]
I dont see why everyone thinks black on grey/white like my site is too contrasting i? it might be if you spend your whole day glued to the monitor, seriously, do something else like watch the television

you didnt answer my question. look at indiepath's new site, and his other one (the igloader one). those sites are black on white but you havent complained yet

j-man(Posted 2006) [#22]
I'm sorry, I thought you were being rhetorical :(
IMO black on white isn't bad for a regular website but if it's a tutorial that you have to stare at for too long it generallly causes eyestrain

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#23]
What's the big deal about the colours? Surely it's the content that's important? It's not like the tutorials are so long that any particular colour combination is going to have burned out your retinas by the time you're finished.

Someone goes to the trouble of putting together nine tutorials (and all the rest) and puts it up for free for everyone, and apart from me saying it's nice and boomboom saying it's "pretty intresting", everyone spends the next four days ragging on him about the colour scheme?

FFS.

Again, j-man - thankyou.

j-man(Posted 2006) [#24]
Thank you LineOf7s !
I couldn't have said it better myself :D

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#25]
Ok i agree with you now j, i thought you were referring to websites in general, sorry about that. I should probably take a look at the content now. Sorry about all the trouble i gave you :(

ervin(Posted 2006) [#26]
Yeah, what LineOf7s said.

Excellent tutorial j-man - thanks for your efforts.
I really appreciate the help, as I am just learning B3D myself (along with Wings3D).

MikeT(Posted 2006) [#27]
Thanks for putting the tuts up j-man, had a quick read through them - look good - will try them out tonight. They should help jog my memory as i've been away from blitz for a few years and am now just getting back into it.

Mike

j-man(Posted 2006) [#28]
thanks you guys! I really appreciate the feedback. Especially the positive stuff ;)

Happy Sammy(Posted 2006) [#29]
Excellent!!!
It helps me a lot and have better concept.

BTW, will there be another crash courses on other topics???
(eg. frame limiting, tokamak/ode physics, networking, AI,etc.)

Thanks
Sammy
:)

j-man(Posted 2006) [#30]
Glad to help :) Not sure if I'll be doing another crash course any time soon. I made the course to train my students quickly so that they might be able to assist me in the BOSGCS (Blitz Open Source Game Creation System) project, which will actually contain frame limiting, physics and AI routines in the commented publicly available source. http://gcsworld.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=bosgcs

teraku(Posted 2006) [#31]
Thanks j-man! It's a great way to get started. Thanks for your efforts.

ps.Could you also make the tuts downloadable as in a chm file or a pdf?

rolow(Posted 2006) [#32]
J-Man,

Excellent Job! Your tutorial made understanding 3D programming concepts much easier.

However, I agree with darksilence in that a pdf version would be nice.

j-man(Posted 2006) [#33]
Thanks to 'rolow' there is now a download link to the new PDF version :D
http://jnoodle.com/Blitz3D/
http://jnoodle.com/Blitz3D/Blitz3D_Crash_Course.pdf

j-man(Posted 2006) [#34]
With the help of "rolow" connecting me up with some pretty sweet software I was able to update the pdf version of the tutorial:
jnoodle.com/Blitz3D/Blitz3D_Crash_Course.pdf

Bungee(Posted 2006) [#35]
Thanks j-man. I have just downloaded B3D and am a beginner so your tutorial should be a great help to me.

Keep up the good work.
=)

rolow(Posted 2006) [#36]
You can get this and other FREE stuff at:

www.2cwp.com

rolow

Happy Sammy(Posted 2006) [#37]
Hi j-man,

I downloaded the newest pdf file. It's very convenient to have all information in one file.

However, I find that most of the background color of coding are black. If we print a hard copy, it would use a lot of black ink. Shading (or other ink saving presentation) would be better, IMO. :)

Thank you for attention. :)

Merrie(Posted 2006) [#38]
I like the tutorial alot but I have to agree with Happy Sammy, try putting a border around the code as it uses alot of ink for printing...

Thank you!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#39]
Hi j-man,

I agree with Line-of-7s, excellent content, I've spent 20 mins or so reading the content and it is very well written. I used Blitz3D 18 months or so ago, have been in BMax for a while though.

Just been through the whole tutorial, a great demonstration of the power of B3D.

Thanks (;~)

j-man(Posted 2007) [#40]
Thank you for the positive feedback! I'm thinking of possibly expanding it in a modular fashion so that users might choose/modify various functions to ultimately build a complete game of their own style and genre.