Blitz3D Beginners Tutorials by Ray Diaz

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Tutorials/Blitz3D Beginners Tutorials by Ray Diaz

simonh(Posted 2003) [#1]
These are a series of tutorials aimed at those new to Blitz3D, guiding them through the process of creating a complete program from scratch.

The tutorials are provided in Word format.

Download tutorials. (1.41MB)

Download source code and media. (2.43MB)

If you liked these tutorials, then a follow-on series can be found here.

DarkNature(Posted 2004) [#2]
I'm going to have a look at this. Maybe, just maybe, I'll finally be able to get my head round this 3D lark and not have to feel like a total dumb-head!

Cheers

DarkNature(Posted 2004) [#3]
Hey, these are pretty good!

Zace(Posted 2004) [#4]
is it me or is the last page not finished?

btw EXCELLENT tutorial!

jvalks(Posted 2004) [#5]
Cool man! I'm just starting to use Blitz3D again afther a few years, and this tutorial is really helpfull to me!

Keep up the good work!!!

simonh(Posted 2004) [#6]
is it me or is the last page not finished?

This has now been corrected. Please download again for the finished version.

wurm(Posted 2004) [#7]
helped me a lot
thank you

Clyde(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yes indeed welldone mate :)

Cheers and all the best,
Mikey F

Chatty(Posted 2004) [#9]
as a newbie to 3d programming i thought the two simonh tutorials were excellent - though i didn't finish them as i wanted to start my own program (but they are great for reference)

Rubiks14(Posted 2004) [#10]
i like the first 2 but for some reason it won't let me run all of the others

tonyg(Posted 2004) [#11]
Rubiks14, What error messages does it give?

Rubiks14(Posted 2004) [#12]
it says "entity does not exist" and highlights this EntityTexture nacar,nacar_tex

and also i get the "to many parematers" and it hightlights this EntityRadius camera_pivot,1.5,1

tonyg(Posted 2004) [#13]
pearlank.b3d and woodenfence.b3d are in the 3d_tuts_source-media.zip file.
I'm guessing the entityradius error is in battleground4.
The same command is OK on my system.
Which level of B3D are you using?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#14]
No, lots of people get the EntityRadius error.

It's because earlier versions of Blitz only support one paremeter on EntityRadius. You need to update.

Rubiks14(Posted 2004) [#15]
i'm using version 1.64

FBEpyon(Posted 2005) [#16]
Can you convert your Tuts to HTML so I can see the pics :(

*(Posted 2005) [#17]
Im with FBEpyon, not everyone uses Word but everyone has Internet Explorer or a derivative :)

Crazy4Code(Posted 2005) [#18]
This helps me so much! I'm so happy now! Thanks!!!

CodeD(Posted 2005) [#19]
It's because of the global values. Just look at the source code xample and compare it to the tutorial file.

Vivoz(Posted 2005) [#20]
I'm having the same problem with the "entity does not exist" error. I get the same problem when i try running the example source code.

It first cropped up with loading the textures for the 'carpet' but i got around it by commenting that out. But with 'nacar' it doesn't load at all. Any suggestions? I'm using Blitz3d 1.64

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#21]
You should really be updating B3D to the latest level.
I believe there were some commands which needed 1.85 (but can't be sure) plus others when BC.com was around had same problems on 1.64 and the demo level.

Vivoz(Posted 2005) [#22]
Ah my bad sorry. Only got it today so just asumed...all up to date now and its working, thanks for the help

Cheater912(Posted 2006) [#23]
Cool! Thanks!

teraku(Posted 2006) [#24]
Links are dead =(

anyone got the files somewhere?

simonh(Posted 2006) [#25]
Links are working here.

Jeepster(Posted 2006) [#26]
I just bought Blitz 3D and I followed your first tutorial. When I click run, it highlights "Global PLAYER = 2" and says "Duplicate variable name"
HELP!

Jeepster(Posted 2006) [#27]
Sorry, please ignore my last post.
I fixed it and now it runs, but all it shows is a big patch of the sky, nothing else. when I press the arrows, nothing happens!
PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!

Radius65(Posted 2006) [#28]
Jeepster, You might want to check and run a file called Battle1.bb which should be included with the tutorial. If that file runs ok, you can check it against your code to find what is different. Cheers!

Merrie(Posted 2006) [#29]
Would someone be kind enough to transfer these to PDF or plain text format? Thank you!

Wayne(Posted 2007) [#30]
I'll convert them to pdf later tonite since I see no one has stepped up here.

8)

Wayne(Posted 2007) [#31]
While I correct my pdf printer you maybe interested in this word viewer:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=95E24C87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF

Wayne(Posted 2007) [#32]
I can email the pdf's if you wish ?

kevin8084(Posted 2007) [#33]
OpenOffice is a free suite very similar to Microsoft Office...plus it has the capability of converting a word document into pdf...
Here is the url: http://download.openoffice.org/2.1.0/index.html

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#34]
Thanks Si, I have just managed to render a model I designed in Wings3D, Do a bit of texturing in UU3D and then display it thanks to your well structured Battle2 instruction. *grins*

luigikart(Posted 2007) [#35]
Rubiks14, it said that to me, and it was because the program wasn't saved in the folder with the source. That would be an elementary reason, but check.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#36]
Rubiks14, it said that to me, and it was because the program wasn't saved in the folder with the source. That would be an elementary reason, but check.

Considering he posted that over 2 years ago, I think it's unlikely he's been trying to fix it ever since. In fact, he doesn't even appear to have been active on the forum for over a year.

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2007) [#37]
This is neat

Aoneweb(Posted 2007) [#38]
Very cool, thanks