Procedural collapses of walls, rocks/dirt falls

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Procedural collapses of walls, rocks/dirt falls

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi, :)

I have coded a generator of underground rooms, with several rooms and corridors.

For now each room has a rectangular shape.

Each room has one or several links to others rooms with corridors.

In each room, some columns are added in order to support the weight of the rocks/sand above.

But the environment looks too perfect !

What i want to do in order to add a more realistic appearance to this environment which is supposed to be an ancient underground city, is to produce collapses of walls and rocks/sand particles falls.

I have thought to use an approach like this :
->Choose a position where to do the collapse
->Create several wall parts/rocks/sand particles depending on the importance of the collapse
->Associate a collider sphere to each wall part/rock/sand particle
->Make the wall parts/rocks/dirt particles move towards the ground (pitch from 22.5° to 67.5°)
->When a collision happens between a wall part/rock/sand particle and a wall or a column or a furniture or another wall part/rock/sand particle, add some rebounding, rotation, sliding depending on the weight and material of the part
->Break the column/furniture if there are to many collisions between a big part and a column/furniture
->When the speed vector is to slow, stop the part and save the position/rotation parameters of the part

I think that the calculations required to produce this effect may take a lot of time if i have 100 rooms on each level. But i don't want to modelize this manually...
Because i will save the parameters of each wall part, rock, sand particle after the collapse is done, this should be faster to load afterward.

What do you think ? What would be your approach ?

Thanks for your suggestions,

Last edited 2012

Zethrax(Posted 2012) [#2]
From what I've heard the common approach when trying to model scattered debris and clutter in a map is to use a physics engine to drop the debris objects so that they scatter somewhat naturally. There are a few physics engines available with Blitz3D and some modeling programs have physics built in (such as Blender3d - http://www.blender.org/ ).

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#3]
Blender is so Cumbersome but I wish you the best of luck doing it :)

AC 3D seem to be easiest 3D Modelings there is because I know as I have try it and made tank in 5 mins for my first try :)

Last edited 2012