Whatever happend to the *.b3d file format?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Whatever happend to the *.b3d file format?

bytecode77(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello,

after years of absence in the Blitz3D world, I discovered that the b3d file format is gone. For some reason I can no longer load b3d files and also all b3d files are gone from the sample files. Has this format been removed?

RGR(Posted 2012) [#2]
Hey Devil
Nothing has changed. Nothing is gone. What do you mean with "gone from the sample files"?
The format is very much alive even in never 3d-Engines.

bytecode77(Posted 2012) [#3]
I get a MAV with any b3d mesh I load. And the Blitz3D install directory does not contain a single b3d file. This lead me to this conclusion...

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#4]
You remembered to update your (reinstalled?) copy of Blitz3D?

bytecode77(Posted 2012) [#5]
I installed it freshly by installing 1.64 and applying the 1.06 update. Could you point me to any b3d mesh that should be working?

RGR(Posted 2012) [#6]
I see. My installation works as it did before - was also years away from Blitz3D.
I don't know about the actual packages. Maybe you must start with a base package where the examples are included? And then make the update to the last Version?

Edit:
1.64 has all examples as I just read

Last edited 2012

bytecode77(Posted 2012) [#7]
I think I installed it right. Could you do me a favour and test, if this works on your machine?

Graphics3D 640, 480, 32, 2
LoadMesh("Beethoven.b3d")

Mesh: http://dev-ch.com/files/ebb700fc-a5bc-df61-a6a3-6b0f0c6e2905/beethoven.b3d

bytecode77(Posted 2012) [#8]
I think I installed it right. Could you do me a favour and test, if this works on your machine?

LoadMesh("Beethoven.b3d")

Mesh: http://cloud.dev-ch.com/public.php?service=files&t=a185df558791ffc6df24127cc104de1b&download

RGR(Posted 2012) [#9]
Yes works - no problem

bytecode77(Posted 2012) [#10]
Well, in this case I must be doing something wrong. I get a MAV even with this minimalistic example.

I'm using Windows 8 64 bit. Any idea?

RGR(Posted 2012) [#11]
camera = CreateCamera() 
MoveEntity camera,0,0,-30 

RollOverBeethoven=LoadMesh("Beethoven.b3d")

lite = CreateLight(1) 
MoveEntity lite,5,0,0 
PointEntity lite,RollOverBeethoven

While Not KeyDown(1) 
TurnEntity(RollOverBeethoven, 0,1,0)
RenderWorld
Flip 
Wend 
End

Works - no Mav

Try a driver update - this helped me 2 years ago when nearly all Blitz programs had a mav at Flip() on my 64bit machine (while 32Bit ran) - had to wait till a new driver came out - and it was gone

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

bytecode77(Posted 2012) [#12]
I just updated my graphics drivers (and restarted) and it still sets of a MAV at LoadMesh(). The odd part is that there is not even one b3d file in the Blitz3D installation, but I remember there once were b3d files...

I will try it on a Windows 7 virtual machine now.

Edit: My VM is not capable of 3D graphics lol :D

Last edited 2012

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#13]
Could you point me to any b3d mesh that should be working?

Psionic's free models are the standard test bench...

I don't remember the samples ever being updated to reflect the B3D format (if nothing else we would be used to using Mark's models then), so that part's not odd. Perhaps your update didn't apply properly though..?

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#14]
Have you actually installed a compatible version of DirectX? You need to remember that what B3D uses is deprecated and has not been supported on default installs of Windows since XP.

andy_mc(Posted 2012) [#15]
Have you actually installed a compatible version of DirectX? You need to remember that what B3D uses is deprecated and has not been supported on default installs of Windows since XP.

I've got a vanilla windows laptop fro work and it runs Blitz3D code with no problems at all.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#16]
Perhaps your antivirus program went nuts and deleted/quarantined the .b3d files?

Zethrax(Posted 2012) [#17]
The core problem with the .b3d format is that there's no file integrity check. Loading a corrupt data file shouldn't be able to cause your entire program to crash. The file format and file loader should be set up so that a corrupt file is flagged and the program can then give the end user useful feedback instead of an unhelpful MAV error.

bytecode77(Posted 2012) [#18]
Psionic's free models are the standard test bench...
I tried the zombie model and it worked. Strange that the models I used some time ago are not working anymore.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#19]
Your problem could be that you are running Windows in a virtual machine and need to install it. As Yasha had said before, A virtual machine is not a proper development environment.

bytecode77(Posted 2012) [#20]
I only tried it within a VM to see if it works on Windows 7. The problem is that it's not working on Windows 8.

Yue(Posted 2012) [#21]
I have Windows 8 and it works properly, I have DirectX 11. no wonder you work.

test this model.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39767349/Yue-Pawn.rar

bytecode77(Posted 2012) [#22]
Your model works. But I don't know that this has to do with b3d model files.

Yue(Posted 2012) [#23]
The model that I have passed this format. B3d Pawn.b3d, when running the application throws it to a temporary directory and launches the application.

bytecode77(Posted 2012) [#24]
I just tested it using compatibility mode for Windows 7 and it seems to work! But what's the matter with Windows 8?

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#25]
I've got a vanilla windows laptop fro work and it runs Blitz3D code with no problems at all.

I wasn't expressing an opinion, I was expressing a fact. Vista and above do not ship with a version of DX that is fully backwards compatible. DX10 and above is not backwards compatible with the legacy versions of DX. They ship with a special limited version of DX9 that provides compatibility for DD7 and older. If you want full compatibility with D3D7 which B3D uses, you must download and install the full of DX9 if you want to run legacy products like B3D.

Your laptop likely has the full version of DX9 installed, otherwise B3D would not fully work.

bytecode77(Posted 2012) [#26]
Okay, so if it only works this way I have to accept it :)
Thanks for your help and pointing that out.

I'll let you know if my current work results in something useful ;)
Greetings.

_PJ_(Posted 2014) [#27]
There is a "fix" available for DirectX9.0c(and earlier) available for DX10.0, 10.1 and 11 via Microsoft downloads. It also includes functionality for the DInput and DirectPlay. Installing the end-user runtime components should also work.