Computers that don't support Windowed 3D?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Computers that don't support Windowed 3D?

mk2y10(Posted 2012) [#1]
I taking C++ and Java classes in college and found that some of their computers cannot support Windowed 3D (windows vista it only seems.) The newer ones are Windows 7, and have no problem whatsoever. I am doing screen savers to show the hardware capability verse the software '2D' capability, and they all run in windowed mode. The 2D runs faster(!?!?) on the vista machines in windowed mode rather than the the 3D machine in full screen. I was wondering what was wrong? DirectX? the lack of hardware? This worries me as my screensaver takes advantage of orthographic mode in blitz to render, rather than use complex code in 2D or writing to textures and whatnot. I am just hoping that this is not something that a majority of vista machines have wrong...

*(Posted 2012) [#2]
This could be down to loads of factors ranging from hardware to drivers or video card capabilities, without that sort of information you are really pulling ideas out of a hat and trying them. Take into consideration quite a few educational places get their computers from the lowest bidder so they are not to the same specification that gaming rigs or even some office computers are at.

mk2y10(Posted 2012) [#3]
Yes, that is what I figured, but was not sure. I just hope it is because of something at the school and not a problem with user's computers as well. I hoped I could get more specifics, but I found it is DirectX 9, and other 3D applications run fine. I am not going to worry too much about it tho :)

Rroff(Posted 2012) [#4]
A lot of schools and businesses just install the windows update supplied basic driver that often lacks full 3D functionality.

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#5]
It sounds like nobody has ever installed the proper version of DirectX on the system. You need to remember that as of Vista, the version of DirectX that ships with Windows is not fully backwards compatible. It will emulate DirectDraw (2D) stuff fine, but it will not emulate the older Direct3D.

You need to download the latest version of DirectX 9 and install it, if you want the older stuff to work properly.

And yes, 2D stuff will run faster on Vista since Vista does not support DirectDraw and emulates it at runtime with 3D methods which usually provides a much better performance.

mk2y10(Posted 2012) [#6]
I see, that is good to know. Anyone who is understanding of computers will own one with all the latest updates and such, so giving away screen savers that use Windowed3D should not be a problem. I never liked vista tho.. Its either XP or 7 for me. :) (maybe Windows 8, not sure yet.)