Memory-compressed audio

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Memory-compressed audio

Adam Novagen(Posted 2012) [#1]
So I've been wondering. DDS is a format of texture that's stored in memory compressed; is there any audio that does a similar thing? Or do all audio formats decompress and load into memory as PCM data?

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#2]
Just to establish context, DDS is stored compressed in video memory (memory that usually holds uncompressed data, hence the benefit from this format).

You can store compressed audio in system memory, but there's no way to upload compressed data to the API to play. It's always raw PCM.
Blitz3D's FMOD loads compressed data into system-memory, uncompresses it to a system-memory buffer as raw PCM and plays it.

-> There is no format that acts as an equivalent of 'DDS for audio'.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2012) [#3]
Alright, good to know. So my choice of audio format can essentially be based on whatever provides the smallest filesize without going beyond whatever I deem acceptable loss of quality. Cheers!

_PJ_(Posted 2012) [#4]
Yeah, OGG Vorbis format really seems to be the way to go for audio in my opinion.
Not only is it pretty small filesize, but I believe there are some license issues with mp3's???

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#5]
Yeah, we all use MP3's to store our music but forget they're patented by Fraunhofer IIS (I only got to know this by a thread here or at gamedev, can't remember).

OGG has great compression\quality ratios, works for commercial and non-commercial projects and the license to do so is very simple - just include the Vorbis' license text file with your game's distribution.