Almost Perfected Jumping

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Almost Perfected Jumping

Nexinarus(Posted 2012) [#1]
I thought this needed a new topic besides "Collisions with Entites and Planes" since its jumping.

By going through the other topics and re-reading my old posts, I think i figured out the standard jumping problem I had before.
Collison ... OK
Jumping... Ok
Falling when touching walls... Ok.
After, I had the problem of when holding down the jump button, the character would just jump like a jack-rabbit until the jump button was released. I finally figured that out. So I thought I should post it here. I hope it helps everyone out.

There is a secondary jump routine inside. But it's incomplete and commented. It's perpose is to let you jump and charge jump. Hold then release to jump higher. The way it is incomplete is that you slide down the walls. (still working the bugs out) If you wish to see it. just uncomment it, or copy this stuff:

I'm still working on the charge jump routine. But feel free to give it a try. Who knows one of you might be able to fix the charge jump problem.

I wanna thank Matty, Yasha, Warner, Drak, and anyone i missed for giving me the helpful info i needed to making the jumping character work.

So thnx guys for puting up with my stupid questions. I did go through the topics and many had the same constant jumping problem. So i thought I should give something back.

I also put this in the Code Archieves>Miscellaneous>Basic Jumping In 3D just in case.

Good luck with future projects. And if anyone can help me with the charge jumping, that would be great!

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#2]
if this is the same code from the code archives, it is AWESOME!!!!!!!

Nexinarus(Posted 2012) [#3]
It should be, I put a copy there too.

But like i said b4, Standard jumping works fine. the Charge Jumping is ok. Still gotta work out collisions.

Last edited 2012

Nexinarus(Posted 2012) [#4]
I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fixed my charged jumping routine! It works just as good as the regular jumping routine.... YES!

can someone test it just in case?

here's the code.

If it works for all the testers like it did for me, I'll update my previous jump code that i added to the archive. Both jump routines will be there. Just have to press TAB to toggle between the two.

Nexinarus(Posted 2012) [#5]
Well I couldn't wait. I updated the jump code in the archives. If anyone finds an error, let me know. I'll try to fix it and update the code again.

"Code archives/Miscellaneous/Basic & Charged Jumping in 3D" is another place where you cqn download the code.

Last edited 2012

Nexinarus(Posted 2013) [#6]
I know it has been a while, but there is an update for the jumping/charged jumping code in the archives (What... Again?). The original code is still at the top.

The new code is the latest post from me in the archive.

I would really appreciate it if someone would compare it to the original. It works exactly the same for me, I am 95% sure thqt anyone who tests it would say the same thing.

If it doesnt work the same, please let me know and i will remove the update. But if it does work, and if people think it needs to replace the old code, I will do that too.

PS: has anyone used the jumping routine at all? has it helped anyone?

Well I will put the new update here as well.

Last edited 2013