A really nice GUI

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/A really nice GUI

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi,

I am looking for a gui for my blitz3d project. I want something similar to what was used in this: http://blitzmax.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=225
Does anyone recommend a gui for me?

Maybe something to the look of maxgui?

Last edited 2012

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
Aww, you reminded me about my abandoned UI-framework project - I've forgotten about working on that for months...

My own fairly harsh opinion is that there are no particularly nice GUIs for Blitz3D. Once you get used to working with callbacks and MVC, there's just no feeling comfortable again with huge Select structures and disorganised polling of inputs here there and everywhere. It's also very hard to extend most UI frameworks written in Blitz3D for similar reasons.

If memory serves, however, at least two are worth mentioning: BlitzUI (is that its name? is that a thing?) has a graphical UI editor, making it an automatic King Among Tools; and Eclipse has a 2D-in-3D version powered by the Draw3D engine, so it should be faster than most of the alternatives for use in a 3D editor - remember, true-2D drawing over a 3D scene is very slow.

Last edited 2012

Rroff(Posted 2012) [#3]
There is no reason to use huge select structures, etc. there are ways to use types and a backend script that minimise that a lot - unfortunatly my engine UI isn't in a state to be released - will try to mockup something to demonstrate tho. (although in a b3d project there will always be some functons you have to hardcode UI element actions for :( ).

Also a common error is to update the UI every frame which isn't needed, render the UI into an image buffer and render that every frame and update the image buffer at a slower rate - 20-30Hz is fine (you will need to handle key/mouse input a little different) although you can get "lumpy" rendering if your updating periodically with a longer frame, there are also techniques to update a backbuffer a little at a time between UI updates and then flip that to the main UI buffer to smoother rendering performance.

Last edited 2012

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#4]
OZGui :)

Charrua(Posted 2012) [#5]
Hi, you may take a look at:

http://albalynx.com/showcase

Juan

Last edited 2012

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#6]
How come I have never seen this BEAUTY?! O_O