ShadowsMap LIghtMap

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/ShadowsMap LIghtMap

Yue(Posted 2012) [#1]

Is there any way that shadows behave in a more real, for example in the shadow image is the character and dynamics of the shadow of a building which is a lighmap and want it to be more real, any idea if you can do that.

Edit:

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Charrua(Posted 2012) [#2]
When doing the lightmap try to reduce blur and/or increase blur in the dynamic one.

Yue(Posted 2012) [#3]
What I mean is that initially half of the body of the character in the shade to be in the shadow of the building is not visible.

About what you tell me a shadow the more close to the ground more visible are its edges, while the highest object that casts the effect Blur.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#4]
any idea if you can do that.

Not easily, using projective texture shadows; and certainly not easily using separate projective texture shadows.

The unfortunate fact is the system has no way to know that half of the character is already shaded and therefore shouldn't cast a shadow in a certain area. There is no remotely fast way to go about checking this. You have three options, for fixing this:

1) Use a single projection. This would mean getting rid of the lightmap and lighting the buildings and character together in real time. FastExtension provides an example of lighting a whole scene this way. This would solve the overlap issue because both the building and the character would be considered at the same time, which is a little more realistic. However, this also means losing your sharp-edged character shadows, as the whole map has to be the same resolution.

2) Switch to a stencil shadow system. These took over from projective systems for a couple of years around 2004 as the fashionable way to do shadows. They have their own problems (like being hard to use with animated meshes), but they do at least light the whole scene in one go.

3) Switch to a non-B3D rendering engine capable of doing this with shaders. Unfortunately, if you want to use DirectX7, projective textures or stencils are really your only options; you can't really do realistic shadows on the CPU.

I think you'll find that the single-projection system can actually look perfectly adequate as long as you manage the scene cleverly to not waste any resolution in areas where the player can't see. It's also likely to be the fastest, especially on your computer.

Yue(Posted 2012) [#5]
=)

The improvement is clear but the shadow of the character, I think it looks better.

Last edited 2012

Adam Novagen(Posted 2012) [#6]
The shadow of the character is better now. But you should try to darken the shadows of the houses now. They're too light, and don't match.

Yue(Posted 2012) [#7]

Edit:

=)

Last edited 2012

ClayPigeon(Posted 2012) [#8]
In that last screenshot it doesn't look like the shadow is even coming from the character! O_o