to any blender users

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/to any blender users

Jack(Posted 2012) [#1]
I have no luck getting the B3D exporter to work. What is the "blitz code" file included in the converter download. I have what seems to be the latest one - I think 2.07 by ?????.

So the alternate export is ".X" file which works great for what I want EXCEPT I cannot get and textures to export. If a guy spends enough time to learn Blender it is a great modeler but as far as I can tell asking a question on the blender website is usually ignored.So hopefully I can get some help here.

Would like to use the Blitz exporter but will settle for ".X"

I am using blender 2.49 and do have the .py files in the scripts sub-folder. Running Win7 64 bit on a strong machine with a top end graphics graphics card.

Sure would appreciate any help.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#2]
I tried blender. it's not particularly that great. U may wish to try Milkshape. It's pretty easy to use, and the B3D exporter works just fine! :) It's WELL worth the money! :)

Jack(Posted 2012) [#3]
I used MS about 6-7 years ago but there is no way to compare milkshape to Blender.Lately tried the latest edition but I see little if any improvement.

It is fine for very basic stuff but to do any sculpting and such there is no way. I admit Blender is a pain to use but after some effort it gets fairly easy to due most things

Thanks for the input however. I appreciate it.

GNS(Posted 2012) [#4]
The .bb code file is used to load the extra "stuff" the exporter can (optionally) add to a .b3d file. Specifically, the exporter can save out any cameras or lights added to the Blender scene and these will be automatically loaded/setup when loaded into Blitz3D.

As for the exporter itself, 2.07 is the latest version as far as I know. It does work but it's... quirky, much like Blender itself. At seemingly random times changes you've made to a model won't be registered by the exporter until you switch in/out of Object Mode (double tap the Tab key). Animation can be tricky and it's best to use simple keyframing rather than some of the more complex tools.

Jack(Posted 2012) [#5]
Thanks for the informative reply GNS.

Unfortunately I get a "Python Script Error" popup before the export window even opens.

Two errors shown in the console.

file "string" line 1,in module if one.

The other is ImportError:No module named os.

Whatever those mean....I know nothing about Python.

K(Posted 2012) [#6]
Hi, replace the first three lines of b3dexport.py with
#!BPY
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
"""

I'll get back to you on the second error.

Last edited 2012

K(Posted 2012) [#7]
Okay, get ready for a BIG one...
Make this into os.PY on notepad,put that in 'scripts', and you should be good to go.

changes you've made to a model won't be registered by the exporter until you switch in/out of Object Mode (double tap the Tab key).

That's actually true of multiple exporters on Blender, i.e. .3DS.
I like Blender, not 'cause I'm one of those guys that latches on to a product and says 'this is the only one to use', but because once you learn the hotkeys Blender is freakin' awesome. I model a lot better now knowing the shortcuts + ignoring the stuff for making short films.
I think it's better than 3DS Max, at any rate.

Last edited 2012

ardee(Posted 2012) [#8]
The .b3d exporter script requires a full Python install above the cutdown version of Python that ships with Blender. Hence the os module error.

The Blender console window will tell you what version of Python you need (probably 2.6.x). Pop over to python.org and install it and everything should be good. You must use 2.6.x though to keep the version matched with the Blender version you're using.

Blender 2.5 and up now includes a full Python 3.x package so no longer required to install seperately.

One more thing, blender.org is not the place to ask questions it's mainly for developers, use blenderartists.org for user questions.

Last edited 2012

Jack(Posted 2012) [#9]
Thanks very much "K" and "ardee".

I'll get on this in the afternoon and let you know my success.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#10]
cool :)

Jack(Posted 2012) [#11]
"K" & "adree" I made some progress........

A full python install got the B3D exporter working on my Win7 machine but not the XP machine. WONDERFULL.
I would guess I used the 64bit python install and that is the mistake. Will check later.

However,and I realize this is not the forum for Blender but you both see to have a good knowledge of it,the textures are not exporting in either case.

Again,I am not concerned about the ".X" since I now have B3D but I must be missing something in both cases. I know B3D supports the textures so even though I followed the instructions and tutorials no luck.

The textures never show in the Blender 3D window but using F12 to render the object has the texture. Any help would be appreciated.
The object does have the material color in my B3D program though,just not texture.

Please excuse me you "Non-Blender" people and I am sorry for posting this here.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#12]
I am sorry for posting this here.

This is actually a really helpful thread. I had previously just given up on the exporter as dead and stopped thinking about it. So thank you for bringing it up!

ardee(Posted 2012) [#13]
@jack, yes you'll have to match the 32/64 bit python to your OS.

Textures won't shown in the 3D window unless

1. The draw type is set to "Textured". You switch draw types eg solid/wireframe etc in the footer of the 3D window, just to the right of where it says "Object Mode" or "Edit Mode" whatever mode you're in

and

2. Your textures are UV Mapped to the model. All game formats require textures to be UV Mapped.

Give us a shout if you don't know how to UV map a mesh (it's really easy in Blender).

Jack(Posted 2012) [#14]
ardee....thanks again.
You seem to have a real grasp of Blender. Good.

I guess I am not as aware of things as I thought. Never had any idea texturtes need UV mapped if you were just adding them "at any position".

To me the big problem with Blender is the number of different editions. I started following a tutorial and was doing great until I got to the point were they said "use the world button" to do this and that.
I have no clue were to find that......

At any rate,thanks to you,I feel like I am headed in the right direction.

Blender does take a LOT of work to learn but I think it is well worh the effort. As is Blitz Basic.

Jack(Posted 2012) [#15]
Another update...............The Blitz3D exporter works GREAT.

Never did get through the tutorial I was using but did enough to get
the object textured and exported...and imported in B3D.

Thanks arlee.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And to whomever wrote the exporter.

And to Yasha -- don't hesitate to use the exporter.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#16]
hehe :P

K(Posted 2012) [#17]
Diego {Gandalf} Parisi wrote it.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#18]
:P

simonh(Posted 2012) [#19]
Does anyone have a copy of Gandalf's plug-in they could please send me? I'd like to make it available to download again, seeing as the link to Gandalf's site is now dead.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#20]
I sent it to you via email :)
You might need to rename the file to b3dexport.py

Last edited 2012

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#21]
I sent you a version i had as well, one of them hopefully is the newer one :D

Dont forget to normalize scale and rotation of multi-meshes on export! :P

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#22]
D4, Can you send the updated plugin to my email too plz? I would like to have a look at the more up to date plugin too if you dont mind.
austin@...

Thank You