Devil Engines and Game Freeze

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Devil Engines and Game Freeze

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello,

I had been using some of the devil engine's libs for my project and noticed that when I run the program in high res, It seems a bit slow or freezy like. What causes this? Can this be solved? I like to create everything in high resolution from images to high poly meshes. Can this issue be avoided by having ugly blurry lo res stuff instead of high poly/resolution everything? Can I speed up the program and still use high res? I'm only seeking advice and again cannot post my code for secure purposes. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time :)

EDIT: I am also using the PCL Cloud lib.

Last edited 2012

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#2]
Srsly... No offense, but please grow up..... Again, u need to make an EXAMPLE for us to see in order to help u... -.- Take it from me, I learned the hard way -.-

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
Alright, for example the sample programs included with devil shadow freeze up when I set them to the highest possible resolution, when I set them to 640,480 they work fine. My problem is that id like to run the program in high res but then they freeze like an ice cube. ;)

Again, I do not want ppl editing my stuff so do please understand that I need a speed boost not an actual code mockup. No offense. ;)

EDIT: I run the program on another computer and works great in high res. Maybe my machine is just slow running these things. Anyway my laptop runs fine with high res but my dinosaur doesn't. Is there any way to make things run faster on older computers?

Last edited 2012

Rob the Great(Posted 2012) [#4]

I'm only seeking advice and again cannot post my code for secure purposes.

Foiled again! I thought for sure you would give away your code this time.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#5]
LAWL

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#6]
@Rob:
hahahahahahahahaha

Matty(Posted 2012) [#7]
I don't see why you're so protective of your code, I mean - who would want to copy it, and what would they gain from doing so?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2012) [#8]
..why would anyone copy code which doesn't work ? You wouldn't ask for assistance if it all works, right?

Zethrax(Posted 2012) [#9]
Does your monitor and graphics card actually support the resolutions you're trying to set?

You can use the Blitz3D code below to check which modes are supported.

; CountGFXModes()/GfxModeWidth/GfxModeHeight/GfxModeDepth example

Graphics 800, 600, 0, 2

num_modes  = CountGfxModes()

Print "There are " + num_modes + " graphic modes available:"
Print

; Display all modes including width, height, and color depth
For t = 1 To num_modes
	modes$ = "Mode " + t
	modes$ = modes$ + " | " + "Width = " + GfxModeWidth( t )
	modes$ = modes$ + " | " + "Height = " + GfxModeHeight( t )
	modes$ = modes$ + " | " + "Color Depth = " + GfxModeDepth( t )
	Print modes$
Next

WaitKey : End

bytecode77(Posted 2012) [#10]
If you want, you can email me the source code and executables. I will take a short look at it, but due to a lack of time, I will not be able to fix bugs within the engines. But I will look for any coding errors which could lead to this problem.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#11]
No... I mean u have to make ur own EXAMPLE to show us.....

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#12]
Alright then, I suppose that I can take the risk of trusting my fellow coders not to copy my work. I will have my own example program hacked together in a few. :-S

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#13]
I fixed my own problem just now. :)

Rob the Great(Posted 2012) [#14]
Reading over my post above a second time, I may have been a little more mean that I originally intended, but I want to get a point across.

Everyone on this site is a programmer. We are all busy with our own programming, therefore, we have no interest in "stealing" someone else's work. On top of that, it's often times more trouble to try to use code that someone else made rather than make it ourselves.

So, I really don't think you're risking anything by posting code here. Plus, what we're interested in is samples. If you can re-create the problem using a small sample, that is a billion times better than just copy-pasting your game code for us to have to sort through.

I'm glad you resolved your problem. Hope all is well!