64 bit windows

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/64 bit windows

ThePict(Posted 2011) [#1]
I'm noticing that people can't use my blitz writings if they use a 64-bit windows OS. Am I going to have to learn a different language?

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#2]
B3D works just fine under 64-bit windows, *but*:

Windows Vista and Windows 7 do have much stricker rules about where your programs are allowed to create files and such -- if you are ignoring the microsoft design guidelines and simply try to write files to the program files folder and such, it's not going to work.

Which reminds me -- under 64-bit windows, 32-bit programs (like B3D executables) can NOT be installed to the "c:\program files" folder -- that can be accessed by 64-bit programs only. 32-bit programs need to be under "c:\program files (x86)"

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]
One more thing: Make sure that you are using at least version 1.92 of B3D to compile your programs -- before that, there was a problem with DEP (Data Execution Prevention) that would keep it from running on machines that have DEP enabled

Bottom line: follow the MS guidelines for installation paths / file storage, and make sure that you have B3D 1.92 or later, and everything should work fine.

ThePict(Posted 2011) [#4]
Thanks Marc, lots of technical issues then.
I still have an old B2D that I use most often, but a few years ago I bought BMax - however the Max syntax is a bit too big a leap for me to be bothered to learn. Often thought about just getting a full version of B3D simply because I already know the language - looks like I'll have to get it soon if I want to continue coding for ever advancing operating systems.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#5]
Another thing you could do is tell your users to turn off the UAC and run the blitz application as an administrator. Also try setting the program to work with XP. That just about sums it up. :)

Often thought about just getting a full version of B3D simply because I already know the language

I say go for it! B3D has a much better chance of running on Vista/7 than B2D ever did. You may want to consider MiniB3d for use with Bmax though. MiniB3d is a free module that contains most of B3D's commands and can be used along side Blitz Max to support Windows, Mac, or Linux to create the occasional 3d application. :)

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#6]
Often thought about just getting a full version of B3D simply because I already know the language - looks like I'll have to get it soon if I want to continue coding for ever advancing operating systems.
Actually, that's the very reason you should spring for BMax. It's been said a lot recently, but I realize you probably hadn't been around for those posts: Blitz 3D is a sinking ship for anything beyond hobbyist development. You can do a lot with it, but if you intend to make any kind of market entry then you'll need to move to a product that's more in with the times, like BlitzMax. B3D uses DX7, which is already encountering compatibility issues on modern systems, and also compiles into far less optimized executables than Max.

I say this as someone who still uses Blitz3D: by all means get it if you want it, play around, get some fast results and have fun. If you have any commercial plans, though, get BlitzMax now, familiarize yourself early on, and save yourself a lot of trouble in the future.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#7]
I support anyone using Bmax and minib3d. Reason being its more advanced and more powerful.

K(Posted 2011) [#8]
Actually, minib3d renders slower than vanilla B3D. That said, BMax is more powerful/flexible in the matter of modern-ness and OOP!