Anyone monitiored a directory for updated files

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Anyone monitiored a directory for updated files

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#1]
And then taken some action with respect to the updated files ?? Just wondering...

Adam Novagen(Posted 2011) [#2]
Er... What?

dynaman(Posted 2011) [#3]
Not in blitz, but yes. What do you want to do?

RifRaf(Posted 2011) [#4]
you could do this pretty easily.

Just create a type structure, that holds file name + byte size.. even crc if you want to.

Just record the folder info once, then on your own timing interval compare the folder to the initial recorded data and return changes made

//PSUEDO CODE

Type FolderData
field filename$
field size
field crc
end type

Type FolderChanges
field filename$
field size
field crc
end type

Function GetfodlerData(path$)
;run through the files and record them into the type list
end function

Function CompareFolder(path$)
;run though each file and compare to the stored list
;if it doesnt match then record then record it into folder changes
;once you act on this list you may want to delete it before comparing again
end function

Last edited 2011

Matty(Posted 2011) [#5]
Blitzplus is better for this than blitz3d since blitz3d hogs the CPU pretty badly..blitzplus has an event system which is more suited to this sort of thing. Not sure about blitzmax as I haven't used it but I'd guess it would be similar to blitzplus? What RifRaf suggests should be fine. However, I'm not sure how many files you are talking about but blitz can be slow at reading through directories.

Rroff(Posted 2011) [#6]
You'd probably want to use fastpointer for this in B3D and have a thread running every now and again checking this stuff - tho might be some minor issues signalling changes back to the main thread, it would be better to use the modified timestamp on the file rather than filesize.