Windows 8

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Windows 8

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi,

now as Windows 8 can be tested as a beta I'm curious if anyone has installed it already and could share if BB3D still works there?

Rroff(Posted 2011) [#2]
Would be interested in knowing this to, unfortunatly my install of 8 is virtualised with no DX7 hardware support in the host VM so I can't test how it would run on a proper local install.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#3]
There is really no need to change operating systems.
Try http://www.windowsxlive.net/ for a fully functioning Windows 8 transformation pack for XP/Vista/7.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#4]
It's not a matter if I have to change the operating system BUT potential customers likely will.

bytecode77(Posted 2011) [#5]
I tried installing it on VirtualPC 2007 and VirtualBox with no success... Also these style packs usually mess up your computer pretty well. I tried one back then when I was still using XP and ended up re-installing :P

And also for some reason I believe Windows 8 is gonna be awful just as Vista used to be. This metro "design" what they call it looks distracting to me and "apps" ?? Is this a tablet or a computer :D I mean, they change the behavior of just everything AT ONCE... just imagine how long it will take to integrate your applications in Win8!

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#6]
just image how long it will take to integrate your applications in win8!

YEs -- MS also stated that the only way to add apps into Metro is by downloading them through a MS app store -- you can't install your own apps locally, side-loading will only be supported in corporate environments and develiper editions, not the consumer retail versions of the OS.

bytecode77(Posted 2011) [#7]
You can also continue coding "normal" applications like we used to. BUT there will certainly be companies who will be coding apps, so we also have to, otherwise people will prefer apps instead of "normal" applications -.-

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#8]
I really don't like Vista/7 and doubt Windows 8 will be any different as far as compatibility goes. Just turn the UAC off and disable antivirus and run the troubleshooter. Doesn't sound too good to me. Why not just stick with XP?
Also all 32-bit Operating Systems run the same programs. Same for 64-bit.
So why would you want to upgrade?

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#9]
To take advantage of the 64 bit applications? To be able to use more than 3 GB of RAM :)

bytecode77(Posted 2011) [#10]
I have 16 GB of RAM, which would render useless on a WinXP x86 machine. And since the x64 version of XP is known to be somewhat buggy, I prefer Windows 7. Also XP seems quite buggy and incompatible to me anyway. The last time I used Windows XP was, when suddenly the functionality of double clicking stopped working! WTF?
Besides, Windows 7 has some necessities other than just 64 bit. There are lots of features like switching between audio devices, Aero, Simplified network setup and so on...

Last edited 2011