UDP Problems

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/UDP Problems

SytzeZ(Posted 2011) [#1]
I'm programming a online multiplayer game, and I'm using the standard Blitz3d UDP commands.
If I login to a local server (ip=""), there are no problems at all, but when I login from a different computer or even from the same computer using the external ip, it acts like the server doesn't exists, and the server doesn't recieve anything either.
I have turned off firewall and port-forwarded the used ports, and tried this with different computers but I haven't been successful once!
I don't think there is a problem with my code since it works flawlessly if I connect locally. I also tried some example code from the NetBlitz library which also doesn't work with me. So I'm asking if anyone else has problems with using UDP in Blitz3D and if this might be a problem from within Blitz3D

RifRaf(Posted 2011) [#2]
its just possible that..

Your router gets data from the network and routes it to specific machines based on local ip addresses, the router has a public IP. So your clients are trying to ping the router.. but its not getting send to the proper local ip because its unknown to the client,

I doubt its a Blitz3D issue.

Try this , in your router set up your server machine in DMZ mode with a public ip , if you can then connect to the game its simply a routing issue.. I don't recommend staying in DMZ for longer than testing requires.

Also if this above test works, then you "should" be able to port forward as well

Last edited 2011

SytzeZ(Posted 2011) [#3]
Ok I fixed it by doing some random stuff with the router. Apparently, port forwarding doesn't seem to work, but creating a "Virtual Server" did!

RifRaf(Posted 2011) [#4]
Interesting, is this "virtual server" the same thing as DMZ mode ?

SytzeZ(Posted 2011) [#5]
I don't know, I could find nothing about DMZ mode in my routers settings.
nvm, I found it, but it's something different. It's very similar to port forwarding though

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#6]
Depending on the brand of the router, "virtual server" and "port forwarding" tend to be used pretty much interchangably by different manufacturers, I'm a bit surprised that your router mentions both.