Minecraft Clone?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Minecraft Clone?

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hmm...I wonder how hard it would be to make a clone of the game Minecraft in Blitz3D. Any opinions? Could be a VERY cool community project and put some life back into Blitz3D.

RifRaf(Posted 2011) [#2]
I've not seen one Blitz3D community project that lasted very long. Also there seems to be some "blitz is too old and now it sucks" folks running around these boards lately so getting many people on a B3D project may be difficult.

Im not one of those ppl though, I still love B3D. However I dont have any time for a community effort. Besides when a game like minecraft gets as popular as it has, you'll never hold a candle to it in terms of favor so why make a shadow of the original that people will push aside for the real deal, if its for anything aside from fun and learning I wouldnt bother.

My opinion on this is pretty specific to minecraft perhaps because ive seen so many clones that are terrible in comparison. They get lots of cubes in the world and call it a MC clone.

big10p(Posted 2011) [#3]
I've not seen one Blitz3D community project that lasted very long.
Jump Around was completed, I believe.

As for Minecraft, someone already started some kind of clone but it was done with bmax, I think.

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#4]
Well not to take away from MC on an epic scale. But it'd be fun to do something like it. And yeah I agree....soooo many nay-sayers...and most don't even use the damned language anymore. Logic would dictate they'd move on but....sometimes logic is off I supposed.

I just cranked up B3D after a few years of not using it and the creating types and the Fields using car\gas type stuff was SO unintuitive that I loaded up MiniB3D. But then I couldn't start up a 3d window by doing Graphics3D 1024,768,0....so...egads...sucks when you forget everything and have to look in the docs again. :(

kfprimm(Posted 2011) [#5]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=92613

Here's Noobody's clone.

stanrol(Posted 2011) [#6]
The network code needs more work.