Simulating 3D splash when object dropped in water?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Simulating 3D splash when object dropped in water?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2011) [#1]
As the title says, does anyone have a PhysX example, or regular example using physics that, when an object is dropped into a water plane, it creates the waves around the object, as well as any splashes that occur from dropping the object into the water?

This would be appreciated! :)

Thanks! ^^

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#2]
Here's an old example of something that might be similar to what you want: http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=991

I haven't seen anything where the liquid actually splashes up that would be fast enough for real time use. You might get a pretty effect if you combined this with a simple particle effect for spray though.

I think most games use normal mapping for the surface of the water instead. Not only is manipulating a mesh slow, it's also quite complicated to keep it properly controlled within a scene of any complexity (i.e. the rising water will ignore scenery objects and just rise through things like decking).

The solution you go for will be heavily dependent on what you need it for: is the water eye candy or is it an integral part of gameplay? If it's just a visual effect then you can both get away with more trickery, and also you need to have a solution that won't cause changes if you turn it on or off or scale the detail (e.g. vertex ripples will move differently with a lower-resolution mesh, so you can't scale the ripple quality if they're going to be actually bobbing objects up and down).

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2011) [#3]
thanks! :) I can use particle candy for the splashes! :)