Soon Establishing a blitz3d web site

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Soon Establishing a blitz3d web site

Hardcoal(Posted 2011) [#1]
This website will have links and files that are hard to find on the web. since blitz3d is pretty old.

cya soon

andy_mc(Posted 2011) [#2]
Good idea, this site seems very much based around blitzmax and now monkey. as an old Blitz3D user, I think it's a great idea to have a site dedicted entirely to Blitz3D. It's still a good language and can be used to make very good quality games, no-one's talking AAA commercial games here, but you couold easily make a living selling indie games written in Blitz3D. That and I have a youtube channel full of Blitz3D tutorial videos so it'd be a shame to see the language die. (http://www.youtube.com/amcadam26)

Hardcoal(Posted 2011) [#3]
ive also had an idea to gather money or sign up people in order to
convince mark.s to make blitz3d 2. if he will see that enough people
are willing to pay for that he might work on making blitz3d 2
which may be a combination of blitzmax complexity and blitz3d ease of use.

any way im here to bring up new spirit to blitz community.
althow ive used blitz for about 3 years now ive only bought it yesterday
its time to shake up the deashes.

ive got planty of ideas and i never give up (well almost never:)

a new editor for blitz3d
a 2d game editor (which ive allready built 90% of it)

i would like also to get some good programmers
and share with them ideas so we might make projects together.
any one who is interested on my new site i will give details.

dont look at my website now its all BS atm
its just some tests ive made:)

Hardcoal(Posted 2011) [#4]
you can do great games with blitz3d and yess AAA games.
but as long as you dont expect a GTA 5 level that I mean.

you can do great 2D scroll games that uses 3d graphics and it will look
amazing.
i will show you in the future what i mean.
ive invented a 2d editor that can do hell of a job
when ill decide to use it you will see you can go far with blitz3D

with all the addons that are around you can do even more

John Blackledge(Posted 2011) [#5]
I think this would definitely be a good idea, for all the reasons mentioned.
And yes, I would love to see (and would buy like a shot) a new version of Blitz3D.

Last edited 2011

Hardcoal(Posted 2011) [#6]
then I will make a registration forum and see how many will be willing to
pay let say 100$ for a new version of blitz3d

when and if we will get to a reasonable amount of registrations then
I’m sure mark sibley real consider it seriously

we may also add a wish list for the next version.

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#7]
I'm afraid the idea of Blitz 3d version 2 comes and goes alot on here. It's been asked for many times, with dedicated threads to it, with all the members on here given the chance to say they want it, or not. A blitzmax 3d module was started, but got dropped (it was an open source thing, so you could continue it I believe?)

I would like to see a blitz 3d new version, but I fear the amount of effort to produce it, considering the 3d engines out there, I don't see it happening.

Hardcoal(Posted 2011) [#8]
I c thanks for the nice honest reply
I can do much with the current blitz3d anyway
also i think people didn’t really exploit the positional of blitz3d.
especially for 2d games scrolling that uses 3d graphics.

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#9]
The real reason why the topic gets such a harsh response (at least, I speak for myself but I think most users share this) is because the suggestion is both pointless and insulting.

Now before you get offended by that, permit me to explain the reasoning: Blitz3D 2 already exists, in every way that is important. So the request is pointless, because it's asking for a duplication of work that has already been done; and it's insulting, because it brushes aside dozens of man-years of work as somehow irrelevant just because they don't carry the Blitz3D branding.

Examples:
- SoftPixel Engine (free)
- BlitzOgre3D (free)
- Xors3D (commercial)
- Ninfa3D (free, late beta?)
- miniB3D (free, and has about half a dozen ports, one of which I am working on myself)
- Max3D (free, incomplete)

...and those are just the ones that replicate Blitz3D's command set to a greater or lesser extent, so that you can port programs relatively quickly. You've also got much bigger and more powerful 3D engines like Leadwerks that have their own scene model based around shaders rather than entities. There are dozens of others.

And the other half is the language compiler itself. Well... in every way that they're different, Blitz3D is objectively inferior to BlitzMax, and I would say for the most part, to Monkey too. So the language side has been updated twice.

So essentially, everything you've asked for is already here, and in some cases has been for years. The reason I and others respond negatively to the question is because 1) you're essentially saying "Ah, young Sibly! You're not doing anything useful! Get over here and do some work!"; and 2) ignoring the fact that work has been done, just because it doesn't have the Blitz3D name and branding attached.

Now you may have other objections - what about quality? What about ease-of-use? They're not Blitz, dagnabbit!

Well, Xors3D and Leadwerks are both commercial projects spanning several years, so they have excellent support, and both have put games on Steam. I don't have access to any numbers, but I think Leadwerks may even be bigger than Blitz by user base.

If ease-of-use or "not Blitz" really is your concern... I hate to be so blunt but - suck it up and learn. If you want to take the big leap to triple-A engines, you need to learn to love technology, and to feel at home while moving forward on the crest of the wave. Adding an engine to a compiler via .decls, or .defs, or whatever mechanisms any other languages use, really isn't anywhere near as hard as writing a game. And if branding issues ("not Blitz!") are really getting in your way of using an otherwise stable, powerful and easy engine, you should note that this is diametrically opposed to the principle of choosing the best tool for the job, trying to stay ahead of technology, and minimizing work in favour of automation that really defines the world of programming.

Finally, you might want to consider what happened to the Max3D project (probably the closest BRL has or will come to a true "Blitz3D 2"). Mark spent four or five years working on that engine, and the result was pretty much that it had to be abandoned because it couldn't compete with other engines that were already complete (and had swallowed up all of the Blitz users who had been waiting for Max3D in the meantime, so nobody was interested).

I hope this helps you understand the hostility to an idea that, as we have said, has been discussed many, many times, to death and beyond.

Incidentally, I'm a huge fan of Blitz3D too (in case that wasn't clear). I just have the opinion that its time for use on high-performance, glittery projects is long past, rather than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. If you won't seek out new technology to fit your needs, rather than pick one piece of obsolete technology and declare that against all logic it somehow will fit your needs, you should be prepared to fail (and frankly, would deserve to fail).

Last edited 2011

Warner(Posted 2011) [#10]
May I add both Cobra and Nuclear Basic to the list? Cobra has been around for a long time, and Nuclear Basic looks quite promising.

Hardcoal(Posted 2011) [#11]
thanks for the long reply
I just registered to this forum and i came with allot of energy
and also i really didn’t know all this history.

I am ready to learn new languages and I’m already learning blitzmax
and tried the others as well.

But Im planning is mostly 2D games and blitz3D is good enough for that.
Slowly i will do my steps towards BlitzMax/Monkey etc...
but i have other issues that prevents me from doing so.

I have hard time sitting near computer screens cause it makes me headaches.
and makes my learning very hard.
until ill find the right screen that will let me feel comfortable.
I narrow myself to what I’ve learnt so far.
Its really sickening to feel like that but what can i do..
that’s is that.

waiting for oled and other tech to come see what ill get.

when you’ll get to know me you will see that I’m very creative and have
very original ideas.
but I’m limited by this symptom.

btw I’m not getting insulted so easily, its just that I thought I’m doing a good effort and yet I get spitted upon.
since i was new here i expected a friendlier approach since I’m not expected to know everything from the start.

Also I really appreciate all the hard work other people had done for giving us new and good engines.

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#12]
Well, I'm sorry for the harsh reception. Let's start again... welcome!

If all you want is 2D... while BlitzMax might have been the better purchase, Blitz3D is actually still pretty competitive, as most of the problems with performance and so on are less important in a 2D game. So you should be fine for that.

Two libraries that may help you:
- Draw3D
- Draw3D 2

They're by the same person, but they're not that similar so it's worth listing both (the first is smaller and simpler).

Anyway, these use 3D quads as images and drawing primitves, letting you get superfast alpha, rotation and scaling effects in 2D, which the native 2D engine can't do. As long as you don't need operations on individual pixels, they're much, much faster than the built-in 2D engine.

Several examples are included, but all you really have to do to get started is Include the main file. Both versions also include a simple 2D physics engine and a rudimentary GUI.

Hardcoal(Posted 2011) [#13]
Yea Cool all is fine

Thanks for the advices.
I’m quite familiar with draw3d and fastimage libs
and I’ve already built a 2d engine game that is so complicated
that I’ve lost my self innet.
It has functions triggers Physical Prefabs partial effects and more.
but I’ve abandoned it for quite a while. I will return and finish it

so I’m not new at Blitz3D but I’m new in the forum

3d games are too hard to compete so i concentrate on 2D (using 3d)
blitzmax I know also and surly I will use it soon. I have plans for it.

But I’m always saying. Its not the language that matters it’s the programmer that matters.

I will finish my Database and then remake it on blitzmax and produce a DLL.
And the world will be a better place I guess.

Last edited 2011

John Blackledge(Posted 2011) [#14]
Hardcoal - don't be apologetic.

Yasha - if you read the other forums you will come across other people's reasons for wanting Blitz3D 2, and your list of 'alternatives', though relevant, shows that you haven't got the point.

And comments like "just because it doesn't have the Blitz3D name and branding attached.".... well - we're not children you know.

Hardcoal(Posted 2011) [#15]
I dont care anymore I will just continue with my own doings
thats good enough for me.
And let there be peace on Earth.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#16]
And comments like "just because it doesn't have the Blitz3D name and branding attached.".... well - we're not children you know.

Tell the people who actually say that then. He's not making stuff up out of thin air. I've seen (upward of half a dozen different) people say precisely that, and I'm sure I've missed a lot of threads on this subject.

John Blackledge(Posted 2011) [#17]
As the Americans say, "Whatever...."

Hardcoal, keep in touch.
You said "then I will make a registration forum and see how many will be willing to pay let say 100$ for a new version of blitz3d"

- Put me down for one, please.

Graythe(Posted 2011) [#18]
Is there a new version? With the Blitz3D branding? $100? I'd like one of those please.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#19]
Welcome to the forums hardcoal. The current blitz 3d is very capable and still gets my vote. Yasha puts over some good points. He provides a good list of recent products, I am still using blitz for quite a substantial app, just having bother with geo location. Power to you for creating a blitz 3d focused website.

Hardcoal(Posted 2011) [#20]
Any one who wants to register to my forum.
here is the address.
http://www.hardcoal.net/Forum2/
For now I know there is no special Reasone For registering there
but with time I will try to make it Worthy.
Its always good to have another Blitz3D website.
Many People are still using it.

Remark:
This forum is a general forum of my website so this will not be
for Blitz3D only.

_33(Posted 2011) [#21]
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /Forum2/ on this server.
Apache/2 Server at www.hardcoal.net Port 80

Hardcoal(Posted 2011) [#22]
yea i need to check that issue thanks
i dont know why
first it worked then after a minute it did this error