Windows Mobile

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Windows Mobile

Yue(Posted 2011) [#1]
Blitz3D can run on Windows Mobile?, if so where I can find an emulator?

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2011) [#2]
I never heard that B3d can run on Windows Mobile. Are you thinking of MiniB3d? That's a different product: it's like Blitz3d, but runs as an add-on to BlitzMax. However, I don't think it runs on Windows Mobile either. A variation of it called iMiniB3D (note the i) runs on iPhone and iPad, but no mention of Android of Windows Mobile in the feature list. See the website here:

http://minib3d.com/

-Pete

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#3]
I never heard that B3d can run on Windows Mobile.

He was asking the question. I know it looks like a statement, but it is a question.

I believe Monkey and Mojo will be able to export to XNA. I guess that means that Windows Mobile could be a target. That's gonna be 2D only initially, I guess, but Blitz3D doesn't necessarily mean a 3D game.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2011) [#4]
I didn't know about Monkey and Mojo; I had to look it up. Does this mean all the folks who moved from B3d to BMax will now see BMax fade away as well while all the development moves to Mojo?

Yue(Posted 2011) [#5]
Donkey?, Mojo? oO??

Last edited 2011

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#6]
Donkey?

Woof!Bark! (I bet no one gets that!)

No, sorry. Monkey. It's documented a bit here: http://marksibly.blogspot.com/2010_05_01_archive.html

Does this mean all the folks who moved from B3d to BMax will now see BMax fade away as well while all the development moves to Mojo?

I'm pretty sure Mark said no. I have difficult envisioning how he's going to seriously develop both at the same time personally, but that's probably just me being a grouch again.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#7]
-"Blitz3D can run on Windows Mobile?"
No it cannot.
Mainly because phones are not usually intel based among a large list of other reasons.
Windows mobile does not run windows binaries any more than Iphone or Android would.

Last edited 2011

Yue(Posted 2011) [#8]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms172504.aspx

nrasool(Posted 2011) [#9]

Yue, the link you provided is for directx9, Blitz3D is based on Directx 7 and that will never ever change. So for that reason it will not work on Windows Mobiles

Kind Regards

Yue(Posted 2011) [#10]
"These namespaces are mostly a subset of the DirectX 9 managed classes that target personal computer (desktop) applications. However, the mobile functionality more closely matches what was available in DirectX 8. The differences involve lack of support for pixel and vertex shaders because mobile devices do not currently provide this capability."

It currently does not work, obviously there is a possibility if you create something like a monkey, ....

Yue(Posted 2011) [#11]
I take as reference that my computer uses without emgargo DirectX9c Blitz3D works, so it should work on Windows Mobile if it develops a monkey.

nrasool(Posted 2011) [#12]
It currently does not work, obviously there is a possibility if you create something like a monkey, ....

Don't think it is likely to happen, Mark too busy with the next product. After it is release he will be maintaining, bugfixing both Blitzmax/Monkey/2d module and maybe Blitz3d in terms of defects.

I'm afraid to say this is wishful thinking

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#13]
DirectX is an API. That's a collection of functions made available to programmers.

Blitz3D calls into these functions when it runs on Windows. The fact that DirectX7 functionality is provided by DirectX9 means that Blitz3D can run on a Windows PC with any DirectX7+ version installed.

However, this has nothing to do with D4NM4N's point: You can't run a Windows exe on a platform that isn't binary-compatible. DirectX may be available to call, but the program itself won't run.

Last edited 2011

Yue(Posted 2011) [#14]
I would like to stay ahead of Mark, to understand that the prospects both in the medium term and long term blitz3d.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#15]
A program written in B3d is a windows only binary. It won't work on Windows mobile any more than it would on an XBox, for the same reasons.
What i was saying has nothing to do with the directX API.

Unless of course he rewrites the entire Engine/Compiler/linker etc.. to run on ARM-8 archetecture (and the mountain of bugs and hassle that would entail), it as well as having to -hopefully- emulate DX7 using the mobile (and most likely very lightweight) version of the latest DirectX that will be on WMob (good luck with that :D).

All that hassle just to support windows + WMobile?
Can't see it happening tbh. I only know one person with a windows phone and they hate it.

Basically medium/long term prospects for b3d = windows (not windows mobile which is a completely different platform).

Last edited 2011