Why is it finding a way to forget the root dir?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Why is it finding a way to forget the root dir?

Crinkle(Posted 2011) [#1]
This is really cheesing me off now, blitz appears to be hell bent on me not programming a file browser. After clicking around for some time it will try and open a directory for reading which is just the folder name, not the full path and subsequently screws itself over.

Have a look here at:

http://rapidshare.com/files/442253306/Your_Faction.rar

basically one of the Dir functions seems to be screwing it, but the program is so complicated i dont have a clue how to find it or sort it!

Floyd(Posted 2011) [#2]
Yeah, that's a lot of code.

It probably comes down to the root not really being a directory. It contains files, which include ordinary files and directories. Try examining the path you are using, especially the final \, when trouble occurs.

I know the root needs some kind of special handling. For example with ChangeDir the final \ is optional. But it must be omitted for the root.

_PJ_(Posted 2011) [#3]
I've not yet had a look at your code, but I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark-

Whenever iterating through files/folders, one of the key commands is:
NextFile()

From personal experience, I have often forgotten on occasion, to add the root when referring to NextFile() as the actual FILE/FOLDER rather than just the next iteration.

Maybe this is happening to you too? Just a guess, but I hope it is of use!

Last edited 2011