Attempting to update B3d Pipeline for 3ds max 2011

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Attempting to update B3d Pipeline for 3ds max 2011

Gun Ecstasy(Posted 2011) [#1]
Edit: T_T

Okay it seems that Pudding actually did not release the full source. The B3dBatchExport.ms script appears to be just a "quick export" script that depends on the main plugin to work. It works in 3ds Max 9.

This is highly unfortunate. I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time.

But, on a positive note, it seems I had no problems exporting from 3ds max 2011 as a .3ds, then importing into 3ds max 9, and finally exporting as .b3d. So as long as I can do that, I'm happy.

Original, embarrassing post below
---------------------------------------------------------

I hope it is acceptable to post this here. For many Blitz3D users, this is a big deal. We all wish Pudding would update the Pipeline for newer versions of 3ds max (the latest release was for 3ds max 9, there's 4 new versions since then with amazing new features like pelt mapping).

This may not pertain directly to programming, but let's face it... many (probably most) of us create our own artwork, and .b3d just seems to be the only acceptable file format to work with. B3d Pipeline is the only exporter plugin for 3ds max, and unfortunately it hasn't been updated in over 3 years.

Fortunately, it seems that Pudding did release the MaxScript code along with B3d Pipeline. After doing some research, I found that MaxScript code is indeed forward compatible in most situations. The only problem is, I have very little knowledge of how MaxScript works.

The good news is that if it's forward compatible, there may not need to be any editing to the existing script. I just need help getting it executed (or compiled) from its raw format.

The source code appears to be split into 12 separate files. There are 4 .mse (encrypted, but can be executed), 1 .msr, and the rest are regular .ms format.

I have installed Visual Studio 2008 express and Windows Platform SDK. However, I can't seem to figure out how to compile the MaxScript files into a .dle plugin, or even a .mzp. That seems to be the problem here, let me explain why (from what I understand).

I attempted executing B3dBatchExporter.ms from inside 3ds max 2011. It loaded the dialog box, I got excited and selected my input/output folders, clicked Ok... and it crashed. So, I loaded up the debugger, and it detected an error on line 72:

Type error: Call needs function or class, got: undefined

The code is on that line is:

b3d_export B3dFile

Since we are all programmers, we can clearly understand what this message means: b3d_export is a function which is defined in a separate file, and was not found.

So, it seems the problem is that all of the files need to be somehow installed at once or compiled into a .dle plugin.

My next step is to attempt to find the file which defines the b3d_export function, and do an Include so that it is included. And then repeat this step for any other missing functions until I end up with a single, executable script (and then go from there).

I'm not sure if that's possible, but I will attempt it and come back with an update.

If anyone here has any experience with MaxScript, please add some input and let me know if updating this plugin is even a plausible idea. Because if it is, it will prove infinitely valuable to the many users like myself who are loyal to 3ds max and just cannot be forced to use the old 3ds max 9 (or simply don't have the older version).

Thank you for reading, I hope we can revive this outstanding but outdated plugin and make it a success!

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#2]
But, on a positive note, it seems I had no problems exporting from 3ds max 2011 as a .3ds, then importing into 3ds max 9, and finally exporting as .b3d. So as long as I can do that, I'm happy.

You can do it, yes, but you're losing a lot of information in the process. The 3DS format won't store vertex normals or second UV sets and if you want to export skeletal animation, you don't have a prayer.

If you're only using static geometry (which presumably you are or you would already have noticed the skeletal animation not working) then you might try exporting to ASE with the Gile[s] exporter, loading it in Gile[s] where you can apply textures if you want and make minor adjustments, then export to B3D from Gile[s]. At least that way, you'll keep the UV coordinates and the vertex normals.

I think you'd need to go via Ultimate Unwrap in order to keep skeletal animation. There may be other options now, mind you. It's been a few years since I used B3D in any capacity.

Gun Ecstasy(Posted 2011) [#3]
Interesting gile[s] is now freeware.

Anyway, there has got to be some way to simply transfer models to an older version of 3ds max and keep all the good stuff.

Here is a list of formats that 3ds max 9 can import that 3ds max 2011 can also export:

.3DS
.AI
.FBX
.DAE
.HTR
.IGS
.DWG
.OBJ
.STL
.LP

Can you tell me if any of these formats would be good for keeping all the useful features?

Edit: I may just stick to using 3ds max 9. I changed the UI colors to match that of 2011 and I'll attempt to ignore the other UI changes like better fonts/icons/menu and forget about the new features that I probably wont need anyway.

I just have one more question... how do I paint materials with vertex paint? I tried using the Blend material, and it worked in render, but when I go to export as .b3d I get an error (Object has invalid material)...

I'm not that good at 3ds max, more of a programmer than a modeller, but I'd like to at least master some of the basics like blending multiple textures on a single object. I tried gile[s] but it doesn't seem possible in it.

Last edited 2011

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#4]
Oh yeah, if you're able to use both versions of 3dsMax, and simply transfer between them, then other formats will work too. From your list, FBX and DAE should both definitely work, and OBJ might. FBX and DAE will (should) keep skeletal animation intact as well.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#5]
Hi,

I told you in your other thread at the minib3d forums for you to wait a bit more; that was because I am working in something...misterious!
I have been working on it for quite a while (since last year, as I suspended development in some occasions), and since some recent talk arose about using Maxscripts because of their forward and backward compatibility around Max's versions 4 ~ 2011, I decided to put it to notice (in hopes that when it's in-store it won't be belittled as "something that other people had thought out already", but oh well).
I'm just polishing it up, hopefully next week it's released (comercially, I presume).

Last edited 2011

Gun Ecstasy(Posted 2011) [#6]
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the responses.

Now if I can just get vertex paint to work... it works if I use a Blend material, but then it doesn't export. If I use the Blitz3D Brush material and set the vertex paint map channel to 1, I can get a result, but it's really distorted.

I will keep playing around with the options. I'm thinking it has something to do with map channels but I just can't figure it out.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#7]
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=84977

EDIT: lol nevermind. Just saw Chi linking to the same thread at the Content Creation forum.

Last edited 2011