Blitz3D Programmers Manual. Better than stock man?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz3D Programmers Manual. Better than stock man?

Galdy(Posted 2010) [#1]
Does anyone own the "Blitz3D Programmers Manual," and is it better than the manual that comes with my Blitz3d?

Thanks,
Galdy

6(Posted 2010) [#2]
The manual is more of a reference manual, rather then a programming manual. Its about 400 pages in length and the first 100 pages give a very basic overview on programming in Blitz3D; no more than what you can learn just by looking an example code. The other 300 pages are just descriptions of each function in Blitz3D.

Overall I was disappointed in the manual as I was expecting lots of example code on how to develop games, but there isn't much at all. I can't honestly say I would recommend it :(

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#3]
If you want real programming logic with Blitz3D (well, it's actually in Blitz2D, but it works for Blitz3D nonetheless), buy Krylar's book: Learn to program 2D games in Blitz Basic. It's only for 2D.

If you want true 3D logic programming, search in the old (but gold) BlitzCoder tutorial archive: http://membres.multimania.fr/blitzcoder/articles.shtml - tons of stuff for Blitz3D, I've learned a lot from here.

Galdy(Posted 2010) [#4]
Thanks for the input and thanks for the links kry.
That modbox4D is interesting by the way 6. Like to see a few things added. It will be interesting to see how it evolves and if a finished product emerges. Are you involved 6 or just promoting it?

Galdy(Posted 2011) [#5]
Your link for the "Learn to program 2D games in Blitz Basic." Did not work. Any other place i could find that book?

Tobo(Posted 2011) [#6]
Bums - just saw the age of this thread - sorry.

Last edited 2011

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#7]
Nah, don't worry, everyone is entitled a few NecroPosts™. Go ahead and ask!

PS: my opinion might not reflect that of BRL's admins.