Crossword Creator?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Crossword Creator?

LedgerARC(Posted 2010) [#1]
I was wondering if anybody had something they could share of how to create a crossword creator? not so much a bunch of code (though I'll take anything I can get), but rather an explanation of how to create one. I'm looking for how to create all the logistics of crossing the words and such.

I have a basic understanding of how to create it, but figured I'd ask cause second opinions are always nice. :)

Thanks for any help,

Last edited 2010

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#2]
I think what you really need is a word base with all those nice crossword words usually seen, like "River in Brasil" in fact, you need a huge base.

Then you start crossing them in a 2d array. If you crossed two words, you'll look for other possibilities for further words using the first cross. You will decide upon success if this is a good start. If it isn't, try an other initial combination of two words. Let the program search for very successful combinations, where success means a high number of words could be crossed in a small place, and only few empty fields were left out.

Of course, searching for matching words is easy, let's say there is alread an A as the first char and a p as the third, all ayou have to do is to parse the base for a word with those chars in them, with the same distance.

The computer may do these trial and error tests with random factors, but he will save successful sequences. Over time more and more successful/long sequences of added words can be stored. You code it in a way the programm will try to store only the best sequences, comparing the results against the "highscores" again and again. Since the possibilites of a huge wordbase are virtually unlimited, you can run this for a long time and "harvest" the results from time to time.

It's a complex task IMO and it touches the field of AI. Good luck with it! And when you make a million dollars now, let me know :)

LedgerARC(Posted 2010) [#3]
thanks, that helps a bunch.

Now let's watch as this page dissapears into blitz forum history.............