Fastextension work with animated skinned meshes?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Fastextension work with animated skinned meshes?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#1]
just curious...

Yasha(Posted 2010) [#2]
....what do you want it to do to them?

As far as I know it doesn't introduce any new features, but they still do everything they did in vanilla B3D.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#3]
As far as I know there is no stencil shadow system for Blitz3D that does support animated B3D because VertexX etc. is always giving the location of the intial pose. I could be wrong tho.

I have FastEx here, but it does not work on my weak S3 graphicscard on this notebook. The screenies in the fastext galleries are impressive, also because of some great artwork. What I really miss there is a features list.

EDIT wait a minute, I just see there's the shadows_simple_tween example, it does load an animated mak_bump.b3d. (Can't however see the shadows on this machine, as I said).

Well if it really handles animated B3D then I wonder why I never started using it.

Last edited 2010

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#4]
I don't think they've been making s3 cards for 10 years or more?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#5]
Hi Rob. Well, this is a noname Notebook with 1.5 GHz CPU and onboard cheapo graphics. Not really old, just not made for Games. It is to some degree an average joe test machine for casual games. From this point of view I wish I had something more robust for shadows.

Last edited 2010

Yue(Posted 2010) [#6]
@EO JFK-11110

are animated meshes.

Last edited 2010

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#7]
I made that robot ... 2003 was it? years ago (it's my model) but its hierarchical information, that is, its just keyframed separate meshes.

The animated one looks good though, it looks like a single mesh. I guess he renders to a texture, which solves all the problems.

The original robot demo had glowing bits on it :)

Last edited 2010

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#8]
Ok, I was completely wrong, FastExt isn't doing stecil shadows at all. I think it's the ashadow lib that is doing Stencil shadows.

FastExt is doing per light projection mapping. So yes, it does support animated Meshes. I made some tests with it. It's pretty good for outdoor/terrain scenes. There may be problems in indoor maps. Since it supports only directional lights (good to get something like the sun), it's projection is not really correct. In my test I could not get rid of Shadows that were projected to the ceil of a room in addition to the regular shadows on the floor. This may be solved with a ceil mesh that is not declared as a receiver. I however wish I had something with Pointlight support, those shadows are really ambient. When a mouse makes a shadow like an elefant, only because it was close to the light source.

FastExt Shadows have a rather high flickering artefact on the outlines. The ShadowBlur function blurs it too much in my optinion. As far as I see it's using a big shadow texture that moves dynamicly in the scene, eg. with the camera, and it offers fade out shadows at distance. When it is used in the right scale (eg. an active radius of 15 meters around the camera), it might look ok. It's easy to set up and fast. The Lib also contains some really good stuff, such as the Rays Effect, or a Textureblendmode for perspective mapping, that could be used for further homebrew shadow experiments. It's so cheap now, a bargain.

Not sure if I will use these shadows, but some of the other stuff for sure.

Yue(Posted 2010) [#9]
I'm pretty new to it to speak with certainty about the matter, but use Fastext, due to the shadows and volumetric shadows that I hold many resources that do not support animated meshes, but I'm not sure because I have seen a robot running with animation in a Ashadow example, the other thing is that the shadows of Fastext I have removed a weight off because I was doing mapping by passing each other was a shade darker than another, it Not so with Fastext.

Me with my project for now all I'm doing is learning how to work and I think I'm on track.

Yue(Posted 2010) [#10]
Stencill Shadows mesh Animate. (Ashsadows)