BoneAnims Vs. MultisurfaceAnims

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/BoneAnims Vs. MultisurfaceAnims

K(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello, I have an experimental idea i'm playing with, to allow for highly detailed character models with vertex animation using .3ds.
The idea is to have multiple surfaces on the mesh, like, one for the forearm, one for the upper arm, etc. A single texture would be put over the whole mesh, the surfs are ust for reference to the vertices.
So, using get surface and algerbra, one could smoothly move the entire surface, or just certain verts on the surface. Since a vert can be on two bordering surfaces, this would stretch, the same as a bone animation.
My question was whether I could do it *faster* by defining trajectories in blitz in a data block/bank or something, and then having a set of functions update each anim. Just curious if this is viable, you guys know more than me.
-K

Matty(Posted 2010) [#2]
Bone anims would be much faster than repositioning vertices for the simple reason that even if you only change a single vertex (position/uv/colour) the entire surface needs to be re-uploaded by the graphics card.

A vertex cannot belong to two surfaces at one time.

K(Posted 2010) [#3]
I meant when you pull a vert it affects the other surf, but I guess never mind anyway, just wondered if it could work.Thanks.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#4]
Yes it will work but not be very efficient. It is probably fine on current hardware.